first gear problem

I am hoping someone can throw some light onto a problem I have with my 2.0 octavia. The car sometimes will not go straight into 1st - as you push the clutch down it feels like there is something in the way of the gear going in and you need to give it a couple of goes before it goes in. It only seems to happen when the car and weather is cold. After a short time on the road it then behaves perfectly for the rest of the day. (I wondered if it could be air in the clutch but dont see how as it is now a couple of years since it had a new clutch and flywheel as part of the recall on that model). Some days it doesnt do it at all. Yesterday it was worse than normal as it jumped out of gear as I accelerated away (did this a couple of times then behaved perfectly).It doesnt seem to be the pedal as I have tried lifting it and its already fully up. The fluid level in the top up reservoir isnt altering so I presume its not a leak. Any ideas please?

Like Chris said.

What happens if you put it into a different gear, then try to select first gear (eg reverse or 2nd, then 1st) ?

Sometimes the cogs on the gears don't line up and clash instead of meshing properly. If it goes into other gears easily, then easily selects 1st it could be this problem. I had a Ford laser that did this all the time with reverse, so I got into the habit of selecting second before trying to get reverse. Another possibility is a fault with the syncromesh on first.

If it is difficult to put it in all gears then it could be a linkage problem, or your clutch could be dragging (not properly disenaging even though you have the pedal fully depressed).

Wrong grade oil (too heavy ? ) or insufficient oil could also cause problems (but is much less likely in my experience).

I will probably try the bleeding of the clutch just in case its that, dont know if trying different gear would help, interesting thought though, so will bear that in mind next time it misbehaves. Had a talk to a dealership today and they said it might be that as the problem was only happening in very cold weather (Highlands) it could be that the gear cables are freezing. The other thing mentioned was the possibility of it being the master cylinder. I was told to wait until it is really cold again and then next time it does it turn off engine and try to engage gear. If it wont go its likely to be frozen cables, and if it will its more likely to be clutch/master. Just need the weather to go back to Baltic to try this one out. The gear oil is presumably what was put in at manufacture so would it be wrong/need changing?

The gear oil is presumably what was put in at manufacture so would it be wrong/need changing?

Had once the same problem on my Golf IV 1.4 petrol. Many trips to dealer (under warranty) made no change, so I've decided to change gear oil myself. At that time (back in 1998) I've done a lot of research on Internet through many forums to find out what viscosity to use. I can't remember anymore what oil I've got, but I've changed it and it solved the problem that was the same as yours (aldo never jumped out of the gear)

Grateful for all suggestions, think there is a thread in here somewhere about gear oil that I came across on my travels so will look again. This morning obliged by being 0 degrees and we went through the usual pantomime but this time I switched off and still couldnt get gear, so Im hoping the cables are the culprit - am waiting to see if tomorrow gives the same temp and result to help confirm. I asked at another local garage and they scared me to bits by saying it must be the slave cylinder and they would have to split the gearbox to get at it and it would cost megabucks!. If the cables can be adjusted or replaced is that simple or would it also mean splitting the gearbox?

I asked at another local garage and they scared me to bits by saying it must be the slave cylinder and they would have to split the gearbox to get at it and it would cost megabucks!

Really? It's often on top of the box. Anyway, bleed it first.

If the cables can be adjusted or replaced is that simple or would it also mean splitting the gearbox?

No, they are adjustable without dropping/splitting the box. I think you need a tool though.

I had a similar problem with my Mk1 octy vrs couldnt find a reason for it it was hard to go into first and sometimes third. gradually got worse and i thought it was a cabe problem so checked cables and found they were ok. In doing so i found that on the gearbox where the cable locate into is what i can only describe as being a (pivot arm) which is held in with some clips. striped it down and found that plastic bush was dry, applied some copper slip and re-assembled and it works like new. car had only done 40 000 miles.

f its the same problem as had with the pivot all you need to remove is the air box to allow easier access to the top of the gearbox. just unclip the retainig clips and the cables just detatch. i just pulled and pushed on the pivot and felt a resistance. so inspected it further.

might not be same problem as i had but i would check it first before you spend any money.