Drivers seat not storing position

Help - (apologies if this is already covered but as a newbie to trawl all the posts was going to take a VERY long time !)

I have just inherited my Father-In-Laws 07 plate Octavia II, 2.0 tdi, Auto etstate L&K.

Where it had been standing for several months with no use the battery had completely had it so I fitted a new one.

All seems OK except the drivers seat does not want to store it position on the memory buttons - I dont get any audio acknowledgment after pressing the Set followed (inside 10 secs) by any of the buttons 1,2 or 3.

does anyone have any simple ideas, I can of course go to the dealer as it's still under warranty but if its a simple DIY thing then it saves me time off work, travelling etc.

Thanks

You might need to let the seat relearn it's end positions. This is done by getting out of the car with ignition on. Push the button that controls the "back support" (sorry about the bad choice of words) forwards and let the "back support" run all the way forwards and keep holding the button/switch untill you hear a "boing" from the instrument cluster. The seat is now "reset", and you can save positions with the memory buttons.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

Hello, newbie here slowly getting to grips with the forum and the L&K we've just bought. It was mentioned in a couple of threads on here during the summer due to its extremely high mileage.

We're suffering with thr problem the original poster in this thread suffered from after a similar flat battery episode. Now I can get the bong (in fact 2 bongs) by 'reclining' the seat all the way forward but still have lost the ability to set the memory.

At one point the seat started going crazy running forward and backwards by itself. I've disconnected the battery for 10 mins to try to reset things, but no joy. Is there anything else I should try before heading along to a dealer?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Matt.

It could be a number of components that cause the memory seats to malfunction, and most of them are hard to diagnose on the internet :)

It sounds like your car "MattE" does reset, and should be ready for memorizing the different positions, but might have a fault in the memory combination switch (the one on the side of the seat with 1,2,3 and set buttons)

The switch mentioned above is the only component I have changed a few of on Octavia II cars with memory seats. You could try changing this switch, as it's the only easy fix to change out yourself, and the part isn't that expensive.

The memory switch can easily be diagnosed with a dealers VAS instrument, so that might be the cheapest solution..

Hope you get your memory seat sorted whithout it costing a fortune! :)

JonA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JonA, you hit the nail on the head, the dealer diagnosed the same and fitted the new switch this afternoon which fixed the problem.

So it seems that the double bong is a fault condition as you suggested.

£30 and we're back in action - thanks for your help:thumbup:.