Engine runs loudly

When Idling and moving my car seems to be very loud, when not moving people say that the car 'jerks' every now and then but i cant feel it. does anybody have any ideas, hoping to hell it's not the fuel filter because that's the one thing i dont think i can fix.

Details:

it's a pre sept 2001 fabia 1.4 petrol classic 8v, no engine lights, nearly 100000 miles, passed MOT 3 weeks ago and oil was changed in january.

Thanks

Nick

adding to that i was trying to look at the spark plugs, but how do you get the plastic cover off, does it clip or something because i cant get it off and i dont want to break it.

I have the same problem.. not so much the loud idling but definite jerks about a second after changing gears whilst accelerating through the revs.. also during town driving it jerks a bit.

Mine has 84k on the clock and had an MOT and service in Feb and was in good nick when I got it. I think possibly it may just be a design problem with the car?

As for engine cover.. there is a small plastic cap towards the back of the engine underneath which is a 10mm nut.. you need to get a spanner on the other side under the cover to hold the bolt on the other side. Then under the skoda badge there is another 10mm nut. Then take the oil filler cap off and the whole thing comes off. Be careful not to lose the 10mm nuts!:thumbdwn: