Rear Tyre Wear

Hi,

I took my vRS in to get the wheels balanced as it was rumbling a bit, when it came to the rear wheels the wear was shocking, the outside of the tyre was fine (2mm) the inside was the same apart from a patch about 6 inches square which was bald, now I do check the wear regulaly, but I do it by running my finger across the tread and obvioulsy missed the bald bit, I bet the copper wouldn't if I was stopped!

So what causes such abnormal wear, the fitter said that the tyres were out of shape, I drive for business reasons and don't do daft things in it, admitidly its a high millage car, but I have never had tyte wear like that before...No heavy loads either, normally one up, and I check the tyre pressures regulaly, the tyres were Michelin Pilot II's.

So its the bike tomorrow, lets hope for Sun.

Dwain

This is a known problem with the Octy II Dwain (there are a number of earlier posts re this on this forum). I had EXACTLY the same issue on my 06 plate Octy II vRS TFSI hatch a few months back - when car went in for service (at main dealer) got them to look at it (by this time car was in last month of 3 yr warranty and had 39k miles on clock). Even though there is a known problem with rear camber settings, dealer would only investigate if I agreed to pay costs up front (around £100) which I did. They then made a claim against Skoda UK who agreed to pay just over half the cost. Car now has new pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric's on the rear - noise from rear of car now much reduced, and tyres are wearing evenly.

vRSFred

Problem exactly as you describe with my Golf GTi (mk 5). Rear tyres are eagle f1 - after about 18k miles on the rears had exactly the issue you describe - just on one side. New tyre fitted now and its fine but I dont' really understand how the problem is caused. Its a flat spot about the size of the palm of your hand.. anyone know what causes this?