Cambelt too tight?

Got my cambelt changed a couple of weeks ago. Don't normally use the car much (cycle to work) so I've less than 20 miles up on it since. However, there's a high-pitched whine from the engine that rises and falls with revs. We've whipped off the auxiliary belt and the whine stayed, so it seems its likely to be the new timing belt. The tensioning was performed exactly as per the instructions in the Haynes manual - turning the notch to line up with the dimple (may not be the exact wording). Question is whether this sounds normal and will stretch out of the belt as the engine is run or whether it sounds like it should be loosened off a shade.

Mine had a bit of a wine when it first changed, I took it back to the garage and my mechanic said it should go in a week or so and it did. He said they do them slightly too tight as they always stretch a bit.

A timing belt that stretches? Hmmm........

It will more than likely be noise generated from the new belt making contact with the tensioner...the back of the belt isn't smooth when new and it can cause a frequency to occur as it runs over the tensioner....even more so if you have just had the belt fitted rather than a complete kit. Essentially it cannot be too tight, as the tensioner is automatic and should be applying the exact tension needed for the system, maybe even slightly less than required if the tensioner is the old one. It should quieten down after a few miles.

My interpretation of "stretch" would be that the belt is stiffer when its made and as it wears in it becomes more flexible, rather than stretching and increasing the pitch. There was a full kit fitted but I've a 400 mile journey ahead of me tomorrow and Sunday so if that doesn't quieten it down, then maybe it needs relaxing a shade.

do you know what kit was fitted as i fitted a goodyear one on mine and i had a fault on the pulley it was the bolt that holds it on , it was that the un threded part of the bolt was to long and not holding the pulley tight and it allows move ment i had the noise let me know how you get on:thumbup: