are the heater controls meant to light up?

i have just bought a 58 plate mk1 octavia tdi classic and i have noticed at night my heater controls do not light up when the headlights are on

are they meant to light up?

Do you have full climate control or just the air con with twiddly dials?

If its climate control then the LCD screen is supposed to light up when the sidelights are on. If that's not working then it means a new climate control unit, as they're too fiddly to take apart.

If its air con then the dials should light up with the sidelights on. If you pull the middle dial out it has a bulb behind it (which can be extracted with a small diameter piece of rubber hose), this might have blown and needs replacing.

i have neither climate control or air conditioning the car is a taxi spec basic mk1 classic with 3 twiddly type controls

is this type meant to light up?

p.s i won`t be pulling it apart to check for a blown bulb if it is meant to light up it`s under skoda warranty so will leave that for the dealer to do

just need a simple yes or no answer folks :thumbup:

thanks in advance for any replies

You might find that it is not covered under warranty, unless you have only just picked it up, and it was like that when you got it.

i only bought it on friday and just noticed last night these don`t light up so i would assume it was like that on friday if indeed they are faulty as no one has confirmed yet if they are meant to light up on this model :confused:

the car is only 8 months old with 20,000 miles on the clock and not even had it`s first service yet ( it`s on variable servicing and has not triggered the service indicator yet although i have it booked in for one at the skoda dealer for the end of this month ),my local skoda dealer has told me the warranty on the car is unlimited mileage until 2 years old and into the 3rd year if it`s still under 60,000 miles

so why would it not be covered under the skoda warranty :confused:

so why would it not be covered under the skoda warranty :confused:

I guess the assumption is that bulbs (OK, 'lamps' before I get flamed by the Pedantry Police) are effectively wearing parts and therefore exempt from the warranty.

OTOH, I thought it was just the marker on the fan speed dial that was illuminated by that particular bulb / lamp. If it's anything like the one on my wife's Fabia, the rest of the panel is illuminated by LEDs within the panel. The panel not lighting up was the first sign that the entire panel had died. Even if you don't have air con, you can check if the panel works by seeing if you notice any difference in the noise from the fan when you put it on recirculate, or by seeing if it starts to blow hot air if you set the temperature dial to 'max'.

I really would just go back to the dealer and say, 'Fix my car, please.'

HTH

It's one bulb and less than 10 minutes to replace. Bulbs and fuses are excluded from the warranty unless their failure is directly attributable to the failure of a warrantable part.

I would expect them to replace it free of charge as you've had the car for such a short time, assuming that it is going into the dealer where you purchased it from.

thankyou to everyone who has taken time out to reply :thumbup:

i will investigate this further and nicely ask the dealer to have a quick look at it when it`s back in for it`s service :)