New tyres, cars pulling?... this is why.

wheels-inmotion

All new tyres have visible coloured markings forming a radial band on the tyre. Several of these markings represent destination between the manufacture and the recipient.... Cars like Lexus require specific compounds so the radial markings do indeed allow the process to become visible and act like a bar code.

But there is also important information held within those lines that most consumers and tyre centres are not aware of, in particular the position of the outer line (colour does vary).....

Depending on how the belts are positioned during construction imperfections will allow the casing and the tyre tread to 'run out'. This disparity allows the compression to steer the tyre laterally regardless of any actions taken by the driver thus generate a pull.

The manufacture measures the degree of run out and marks the severity onto the tyre by the position of the outer band, typically the colour is Red or Blue, if the colour band is central then the run out is considered 0, if the band is toward the outer edge the tyre will need a 'reactive' partner to belay any pull. So the positions are vital to you and your car....

Realising this problem then it's easy to conclude if the tyres are symmetrical in tread construction, if the tyres are asymmetrical or directional then the centre will need to find a suitable match with an opposite reactive lateral partner....... Their problem not yours......

So next time you buy tyres have a look for the banding and decide what match you want..... remember most centres will have no idea of your request due to misunderstanding and lack of knowledge so you need to be wise.

Very interesting post, i've just had two Vredstein Ultra Sessanta's fitted to the front of my Octy.

As you said, the blue banding is towards the outer edges on my tyre, so basically from looking at the position of the bands determines if the tyres are as such matched as a pair?

The reason i ask is, its the first time i've had tyres of a low profile fitted and have been tracked spot on the first time around!

Usually i've had countless problems!

I remember someone talking about this a while back, but he suggested that the marker was placed there before the final moulding stage to make any alignment failures obvious when the finished tyre was rotated. Is it the case that all manufacturers take the care you suggest, or are them some who use the stripes for reasons less useful to the consumer?