Does PDC work with non detachable towbar?

el coche SKODA

• 1 month later...

Just had a detachable tow bar fitted on my Yeti Elegance by ALG Towbars Ltd (Insch) and was surprised to see that the PDC did not pick up the presence of the towball when in place. It will be a different story when the trailer is present but I understand that I can disable this from the on board computer.

When looking from the back the sensors are quite high up so obviously dont see the towball which is what Mike Spence at Skoda Aberdeen thought would be the case.

PS Really chuffed with the Yeti!

Hi Brankum,

Just wondering if you opted for the Factory fitted Tow Bar electrics prep - or did ALG do it all ? Does the bumper need cutting at all.

Not seen a Yeti on the road with a towbar yet to verify...

Thanks!

Graham

On Yetis with factory installed detachable tow bars there is a hatch in the rear bumper that needs to come off before you insert the hook into the bar itself. I guess that means that you would have to cut the bumper even if you would like a non detachable tow bar?

Graham

The tow bar is a Westfalia as supplied by Skoda parts and is detachable. The car did not come with pre fitted electrics so ALG did the whole thing including cutting the hole for the detachable flap. When not in use the ball has a designated position in the foam tray under the boot floor and is tidied away quite nicely. ALG fitted their little box of electrics which takes care of direction buzzing whe the indicators are on. If you are going down this road make sure you get the primer for the frame of the removeable flap as this is stuck on using pre fitted glue strips on the frame. The frame came off on my old Roomy after a few attempts of replacing the flap.

As a PS the lighting socket pushes up inside the hole and is therefore protected from the weather when not in use. This all seems rather verbal so I'll maybe post some pics if helps.

John

Hi Brankum, Thanks for the detail description. If you can load some pics that would help too - but not sure if the current situation with the Forum will allow this. Graham

The Westfalia website has a pdf picture installation manual on its site for their (and Skoda'a!) towbar.

http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/index.php?id=6&L=1

If anyone can understand the pictures then please explain them to me! I lost the plot after removing the bumper....

Hi aerofurb,]

My interpretation is as follows,]

1. Remove bumper]

2. Remove inner steel bumper and dispose]

3. Remove bolt hole covering pads from rear longerons port & Stbd (under vehicle) ]

4. Insert tow bar in to longerons though the rear panel]

5. Fix M10 bolts through holes revealed in step 3, to attach tow bar in place. Torgue bolts to 55Nm]

6. Cut hole in bumper]

7. Purchase a panel kit from a Skoda retailer (suggest do this before above)]

8. Fix panel kit]

9. Refit bumper]

10. Wait 24hrs I think before using panel]

Hope that helps.]

Regards,]

The Plumber

Thanks Plumber & Agerbundsen!

I'd sort of sussed the general idea out but was getting confused with the plate with four studs being clamped on and stuff.

I'd be quite happy to fit it on myself - probably the most difficult bit would be working out how to get the bumper off!

Anyone any idea what I get for my money with the factory towbar prep - apart from needing to pay extra for the electrics pack (according to the UK brochure)!

Hi aerofurb,

think you will get the access panel fitted as standard. Base this opinion on one of the images from AUTO.CZ, there is a view looking up towards the rear bumper and the panel can clearly be seen.

Otherwise sorry can't help, not something I have researched myself.

http://magazin.auto.cz/testy/skoda-yeti-2-0-tdi-4x4-splhoun-trzni.html