PD100 Clutch and Exhaust Questions

Hi everyone,

I know there's a few uprated clutch options for the 6-speed 'box in the vRS, but I was wondering earlier if the clutch in my remapped 5-speed PD100 were to fail or start slipping, is there an uprated alternative to replace it with or would I just have to stick with the OEM item? I'm not overly worried as I've heard the PD100 clutch is pretty resilient (I believe AwesomeSarah's has been running with a map for quite some time from high miles to begin with) and I don't tend to drive like a loon, but it's just a thought.

Also, I was wondering if the usual aftermarket vRS exhaust options (Magnex, Blueflmae, Jetex etc) would fit the PD100? My first thought is that it probably would, but can anyone confirm? The car would have a vRS rear bumper by this point.

Thanks for any input, thoughts or opinions :)

Andrew

Edited by Leodhasach

Hi everyone,

I know there's a few uprated clutch options for the 6-speed 'box in the vRS, but I was wondering earlier if the clutch in my remapped 5-speed PD100 were to fail or start slipping, is there an uprated alternative to replace it with or would I just have to stick with the OEM item? I'm not overly worried as I've heard the PD100 clutch is pretty resilient (I believe AwesomeSarah's has been running with a map for quite some time from high miles to begin with) and I don't tend to drive like a loon, but it's just a thought.

Also, I was wondering if the usual aftermarket vRS exhaust options (Magnex, Blueflmae, Jetex etc) would fit the PD100? My first thought is that it probably would, but can anyone confirm? The car would have a vRS rear bumper by this point.

Thanks for any input, thoughts or opinions :)

Andrew

Seems like we are both going down the same route,what remap have you had and has it improved the power/tractability ,I'm having the exhaust replaced with a stainless steel version wth the rear exiting in the same way as the original (Stealth style) I have a set of VRS suspension to go on and will probably go to Unit 18 for the remap,they did the console bushes for me a while and it has changed the handling for the better.As for the exterior ,that is staying almost standard,just debadged ,dark side indicators and will colour code the grill

Seems like we are both going down the same route,what remap have you had and has it improved the power/tractability ,I'm having the exhaust replaced with a stainless steel version wth the rear exiting in the same way as the original (Stealth style) I have a set of VRS suspension to go on and will probably go to Unit 18 for the remap,they did the console bushes for me a while and it has changed the handling for the better.As for the exterior ,that is staying almost standard,just debadged ,dark side indicators and will colour code the grill

It's a fun route to go down :)

I have a Performance Torque remap (travelled from Glasgow to Wolverhampton to get it done and still can't praise them enough). There is now a lot more 'go' right the way through the rev range, but it is very smooth with no torque spikes, so I have been assured that it is relatively clutch-friendly. In essence, not only is the car now easier to drive quickly, it is also smoother. I'm also getting an extra 2-3mpg on average :thumbup: They have their own sub-forum on here, so take a look and see what Will can do.

I like the sound of your plans, but if I were you I would reconsider the suspension. The vRS setup is designed to cope with the extra weight of the 6-speed 'box etc, so the spring rates wouldn't be right and would likely adversely affect the ride and handling, although it's hard to say for certain. It would be worth replacing them with something designed for the PD100, at least then you'll know it'll be right. I myself went for an Eibach spring/Koni FSD shock setup. Expensive, but the car not only handles much better, but the ride is so much smoother, more composed and 'planted' if you know what I mean. It would be worth getting in touch with AwesomeSarah for advice and to see if they have any offers on the go.

Where are you getting the exhaust from?

Cheers,

Andrew

When I had my pd100 I used a clutch kit for a g60 iirc, got it from Jabba and it did the job superbly and managed to cope with 181 bhp and 300lbs/ft torque.

As for the exhaust I got a Miltek for a VRS and chopped the tailpipes off for the stealth look B)

When I had my pd100 I used a clutch kit for a g60 iirc, got it from Jabba and it did the job superbly and managed to cope with 181 bhp and 300lbs/ft torque.

As for the exhaust I got a Miltek for a VRS and chopped the tailpipes off for the stealth look B)

Thanks Cav, that's the info I'm looking for :thumbup: Especially since I'm thinking of upping the power/torque to around those levels in the summer.

Soooo, essentially if I leave the tailpipes on and use a vRS rear bumper, it should work then?

G60 clutch is a good option.

SPEC who I got my clutch from also do clutches for the pd100 sized clutch (which is a few mm smaller in diameter than the 6 speed) so the world is your oyster. You could get a 600 lb/ft one like me if you really wanted to. :D

For the exhaust I would just remove the cat & boackbox and replace both with straight pipes. Most efficient and good value for money too.

G60 clutch is a good option.

SPEC who I got my clutch from also do clutches for the pd100 sized clutch (which is a few mm smaller in diameter than the 6 speed) so the world is your oyster. You could get a 600 lb/ft one like me if you really wanted to. :D

For the exhaust I would just remove the cat & boackbox and replace both with straight pipes. Most efficient and good value for money too.

Excellent, thanks Jason :)

Excellent, thanks Jason :)

As far as using the VRS suspension set up, what difference is there(weight wise ) between a 5 speed and 6 speed gear box,can't be much surely,the engine is basicaly the same,can someone give deffinate axle weights.Concerning the exhaust ,I may either go for a Scorpian ,modified as already described or a Custom Chrome one with just a rear back box,so before I do anything ,I'm open to guidence.

I do a lot of driving ,either in deepest Cornwall ,as in my login or around the Lincolnshire wolds, both areas pretty hilly and just feel I need abit more power and better suspension,maybe I should just sell the car and go for a VRS,then I would loose the heated seats,nice in this cold weather!!!!!! and the more innocent /stealthy look.

As far as using the VRS suspension set up, what difference is there(weight wise ) between a 5 speed and 6 speed gear box,can't be much surely,the engine is basicaly the same,can someone give deffinate axle weights.Concerning the exhaust ,I may either go for a Scorpian ,modified as already described or a Custom Chrome one with just a rear back box,so before I do anything ,I'm open to guidence.

I do a lot of driving ,either in deepest Cornwall ,as in my login or around the Lincolnshire wolds, both areas pretty hilly and just feel I need abit more power and better suspension,maybe I should just sell the car and go for a VRS,then I would loose the heated seats,nice in this cold weather!!!!!! and the more innocent /stealthy look.

I don't have the exact figures I'm afraid, it's just remembered from the advice I was given on here when I asked the same question ;)

I too was recently tempted to go for a vRS, but I'm swayed by the individuality of my car :D and the heated seats are marvellous at this time of year...got a 250 mile journey through an arctic Scotland on Tuesday, so no doubt they'll come in handy...

Edited by Leodhasach