tyres tyres tyres

ryan74

As far I know it shouldn't be a problem but the best thing to do is check with the place you're buying them from or where you're having them fitted. At least then if there's a problem they'll be responsible and you can get your money back.

Try asking about 'Tyres' though ;)

Edited by Yella

As chris says running a larger profile will give you a larger rolling radius meaning your speedo and mileage readings will both be over-underreading leading to all sorts of problems with speed cameras, and the validity of your cars data.

Using the link supplied by Chris the large profile gives a 6.9% error meaning 60 on your speedo will actually be 64.2mph, and a reading off 70 would be more like 75.

Meaning if you ran them for say 10,000 miles on your odometer; you'd actually have done nearer 11,000!

Yes 55 profiles are cheaper as they are much more common than the 45 but personally stick with what shoudl be on there; although that said I do plan to destroy some 55 profiles on track days this year :D

Edited by PastyBoy

It's not quite as bad the above poster suggested.

Due to the change of radius if you travelled 9720 miles your clock would show that you'd done 10130. Its going to be an overestimate of around 400 miles for every 10k travelled. So if you can live with that then go for it. As for your speedo when it shows 60mph you'll actually be doing 62.5mph. And seeing as when my octavia shows 60 mph my sat nav shows 54mph this would actually make my speedo more accurate.

Even if you go by the above calculator being correct then as long as you are aware that there's a difference then that's all that matters. If you come to sell the car I don't think anyone will be dissapointed to find that the car has done less than the clock says it has. Speedos are never correct unless you get them professionally calibrated and there's no point unless you're a police officer.

What the others are saying is the same as saying you can't get bigger alloys as that can have the same effect. I'm not incorrect. You asked if you can put larger ratio tyres on and I said yes. Therefore I am correct. You can get bigger tyres if you want just be aware that they can make a difference.

PS - Still ask the place fitting or supplying them to confirm that it's ok as then you've got some comeback if anything happens.

Edited by Yella

oooookay clearly hit a nerve there so original posted editted.

As Yella says he is actually correct you can fit those tyres.

In fact if anyone put Fabia VRS alloys on a MK4 Golf would indeed need 55 profile rubber to keep the sizing correct.

I was merely pointing out that it's not a straight swap and there will be consequences.

However if you can live with those consequences then fit whatever sized rubber you like.

Personally though if Skoda say 205/45/16 then that's what i put on my car.