Bolero loose connection?

I've just taken delivery of my April '09 Superb SE TDi CR with only 2,200 miles on the clock and I'm very pleased with it - it's light years ahead of my beloved '02 Superb 1.9 TDi Classic.

However, it seems to have a fault with the Bolero radio; when I drive over a "bouncy" bit of road the unit flickers off and on again several times in rapid succession. So far it only seems to happen shortly after starting the car (although I've only had it two days and I could be wrong on this - it might just be my route takes a mile or so to reach a suitably bad bit of road). Once it's happened, it seems that the display is reluctant to switch to display the reversing sensors until I have switched the engine off & on again.

Has my Bolero got a loose connection? Has anyone else come across this problem and is there an easy fix? The car is under Skoda warranty and was bought from a Skoda dealer (although I didn't buy it locally) and my nearest dealer is about 15 miles away, so if it's possible to try a fix first then I'd be happy to give it a try.

Thanks, BlackCat3000

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that this might be due to a faulty ignition switch. Mitchell Skoda checked it over and their diagnostics machine kept asking if the ignition was on! After the switch was examined, the airbag fault light came on (and stayed on), so there's a good chance that this really is the cause of the fault. It's due to have the ignition switch replaced in the next few days so we'll soon see it cures the fault.

It appears that this might be due to a faulty ignition switch. Mitchell Skoda checked it over and their diagnostics machine kept asking if the ignition was on! After the switch was examined, the airbag fault light came on (and stayed on), so there's a good chance that this really is the cause of the fault. It's due to have the ignition switch replaced in the next few days so we'll soon see it cures the fault.

Good luck with that Blackcat,I'm watching with interest because my "Bolero" radio decided to flicker and turn off and on a few times one day but that was say two weeks ago and it has'nt happened since,at the tiime I was on a good road,

strange thing though I was approaching a police checkpoint where they were zapping cars checking for tax evasion and other stuff going on so I've been wondering if those police units affected my electrics ? strange as it sounds it can't be ruled out as blackspots exsist where you can lock your car with the remote but can't unlock your car again because of "outside influences" skoda guy was at a loss with my problem so perhaps I should roam around looking for another checkpoint,better check my tax first ! :rofl:

PS Blackcat,a question for you ; Does your radio turn off when you turn ignition off and pull the key out as it should? Mine works only if you pull the key out very quick or sometimes I have to switch ignition on again and repeat !

Am I doing something wrong ? :giggle: Thanks :thumbup: Odsak.

Hi Odsak.

I'm glad this is of interest to you. The ignition switch was replaced today and it's early days, but so far the result is:

1. The airbag warning light has gone out.

2. The radio did not flicker on or off once during my 20-mile trip home. I'd barely gone 2 miles on the way to the Skoda garage this morning before it started to misbehave.

3. The parking sensor display comes on now (and replaces the radio display) when engaging reverse or selecting the front sensors.

4. The radio now switches off automatically when I withdraw the ignition key (to answer your question, it was staying on previously, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong).

One other fault that came to light after my previous post was that the rear window heater was not working. Mitchell Skoda are fairly confident that it will work now that the ignition switch has been replaced but I need the right weather conditions to test it properly. They were spot on with their time estimate for replacing the ignition switch (90 minutes) and very kindly washed the car, too. Result!

I'd keep an eye open for other signs of electrical weirdness, Odsak; it looks like the ignition switch problem can cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated problems.

Cheers, BlackCat3000

Hi Odsak.

I'm glad this is of interest to you. The ignition switch was replaced today and it's early days, but so far the result is:

2. The radio did not flicker on or off once during my 20-mile trip home. I'd barely gone 2 miles on the way to the Skoda garage this morning before it started to misbehave.

3. The parking sensor display comes on now (and replaces the radio display) when engaging reverse or selecting the front sensors.

4. The radio now switches off automatically when I withdraw the ignition key (to answer your question, it was staying on previously, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong).

One other fault that came to light after my previous post was that the rear window heater was not working. Mitchell Skoda are fairly confident that it will work now that the ignition switch has been replaced but I need the right weather conditions to test it properly. They were spot on with their time estimate for replacing the ignition switch (90 minutes) and very kindly washed the car, too. Result!

I'd keep an eye open for other signs of electrical weirdness, Odsak; it looks like the ignition switch problem can cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated problems.

Cheers, BlackCat3000

Hi Blackcat,thanks for the info,I have learned a lot from you in a short time and I think my car needs the same treatment as yours. You mention front sensors? I think i've just got rear fitted but i'm not sure anymore, after chatting to you.The manual is no help it says there is a switch on base of gearstick to turn sensors on/off,but,not on mine(I note you have the 170bhp mines 140bhp)anyway my parking screen rarely lights up and i've noticed now that if I jump out the car for a min then get back in with radio still playing,start engine and radio/media display goes OFF blank nothing! then I have to turn it back on. Looks like my ignition switch came out of the same batch as your original one,other posters have had probs too :thumbdown: so i'll have to book it in.

I read a post that stated if you set the mirror control(on driver door) and set memory then the mirrors fold and open with the ignition,I can only do it manually on door or by remote key,can you do it on yours Blackcat?

To conclude I think this ignition switch should be looked at firstly then start all over again with my gadgets and settings.Thanks again for sharing the headaches Blackcat and keep me updated with your episode.

Cheers for now and may all your probs be small ones :rofl: . Odsak :thumbup:

PS I'm making a gripe list to give to Skodas and on that list is "First aid kit missing" have you got one ????

Edited by ODSAK.

I read a post that stated if you set the mirror control(on driver door) and set memory then the mirrors fold and open with the ignition,I can only do it manually on door or by remote key

Have you tried holding down the locking button on the remote control for a few seconds? That's what folds my mirrors in. :)

Ray

Have you tried holding down the locking button on the remote control for a few seconds? That's what folds my mirrors in. :)

Ray

Thanks Argee,that's what i've been doing but I thought if you can set the mirrors to fold from the ignition then this will save "battery life" on remote key plus you're not lingering in the rain holding down the button :giggle: sad or what lol.

Cheers for now :thumbup: Odsak.

Hi Odsak.

Apart from being unsure that my rear window heater is working (and still waiting for the right weather conditions to test it), all is well with my car since the ignition switch was repaired.

If you have front parking sensors then there will be a switch front & right of the gear lever gaiter. It lights up in orange when activated. I think the front sensors are an option even on the SE - my car was previously owned by Skoda (for all of 2,200 miles) and they'd seen fit to install front sensors and Park Assist but I haven't had the courage to test Park Assist yet (maybe on a quiet road when no-one is looking...).

As RoadCrafty says, the keyfob can be used to fold/unfold the mirrors but if you want to prolong the keyfob battery life then you can always use the mirror control joystick on the driver's door to fold them in and out. My mirrors don't unfold with the ignition, though (at least not just by switching on the engine), are they supposed to?

I didn't get a first-aid kit with my car - is one supposed to be included?

Good luck with getting yours fixed, BlackCat3000

Hi Odsak.

Apart from being unsure that my rear window heater is working (and still waiting for the right weather conditions to test it), all is well with my car since the ignition switch was repaired.

If you have front parking sensors then there will be a switch front & right of the gear lever gaiter. It lights up in orange when activated. I think the front sensors are an option even on the SE - my car was previously owned by Skoda (for all of 2,200 miles) and they'd seen fit to install front sensors and Park Assist but I haven't had the courage to test Park Assist yet (maybe on a quiet road when no-one is looking...).

As RoadCrafty says, the keyfob can be used to fold/unfold the mirrors but if you want to prolong the keyfob battery life then you can always use the mirror control joystick on the driver's door to fold them in and out. My mirrors don't unfold with the ignition, though (at least not just by switching on the engine), are they supposed to?

I didn't get a first-aid kit with my car - is one supposed to be included?

Good luck with getting yours fixed, BlackCat3000

Hi Blackcat,I'm sure I read about the mirrors folding/unfolding from the ignition when I was trawling back through the forums,I'll look again later. Cheers Odsak.

Have'nt found out yet if a first aid kit should be (supplied) in the car,all I have is an empty compartment for it and straps to hold it in.

It screams at me "Something is missing" ! If we paid for it then we should have it.

Edited by ODSAK.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear window heater is due to an unrelated manuacturing defect in the heater element contacts. Mitchell Skoda is taking it up with Skoda on my behalf - apparently Skoda has to see the fault and approve the installation of a replacement rear window. Something to do with Skoda needing to see the fault and collate statistics and chassis numbers in case recalls become necessary. Also due to the fact that genuine Skoda Superb rear windows are a bit thin on the ground, so it seems.

I found out why my Park Assist was cancelling itself every time I tried to use it; Mitchell's advised me to adopt a totally "hands off" approach to the steering wheel when engaging Park Assist - the slightest touch on the steering wheel and the system thinks you're avoiding a pedestrian and switches off. I tried it this morning and allowed the system to select a gap about 4 feet longer than the car (and which I would have probably bottled out of if I'd been parking the car manually) and the system popped the car into the gap first time. I am so impressed! :yes:

• 3 months later...

Hi Odsak.

Cheers, BlackCat3000

Hi, I've just picked up a 58 plate Superb, and it's been exhibiting exactly the same problem. Did the ignition switch replacement definitely sort it out? If so I can take it into the dealer and point them in the right direction.

Regards,

Richard

Hi, I've just picked up a 58 plate Superb, and it's been exhibiting exactly the same problem. Did the ignition switch replacement definitely sort it out? If so I can take it into the dealer and point them in the right direction.

Regards,

Richard

Hello Richard.

Yes, the repair to the ignition switch has fixed everything - not a hint of any problems now, it's like they never happened.

Cheers, BlackCat3000