Thud at 70 mph then into limp mode

Driving back from a weekend away and going a steady 70 mph when the engine gave a "thud" :o (as if something had broken or the car had been rear ended), managed to guide it across to the hard shoulder and turned the engine off.

Locked the car and waited for about a minute then unlocked it, started up and the fault had gone :wonder: , the car then ran smoothly for the remaining 10 miles or so and I hevan't had it happen again (yet) since this incident, any ideas and should I be worried?? :think:

I've recently changed a full set of coil packs and am due to do the TB once I've got the new discs, pads and rear caliper fitted this weekend so I wondered if this might have had something to do with it?? I sometimes get the engine management light coming on spuriously too, although this will often clear itself without any intervention from me or a Vag Com.

Any advice or ideas gratefully received, Thanks!! :thumbup:

This sounds exactly like what happened to mine, it was the turbo, sticking vanes as was explained on here (theres laot of topics aroudn if your search), I couldn't accelerate more than about 65mph and did exactly the same a sudden thud, came off at the next junction turned off and then back on and ran fine, had a few tanks of Red-ex and it hasn't done it for about 3 months.

TY

I thought thats how they get the car to boost early on. mine seems to boost as low as 1.5k rpm. well when I lift off at 2 the dv makes a nice sound.

oh well cheers for clearin it up.

so really the only thing to break on the turbo is the shaft.

cheers

billy

Hope the OP has not furthere trouble

I thought thats how they get the car to boost early on. mine seems to boost as low as 1.5k rpm. well when I lift off at 2 the dv makes a nice sound.

Blimey Billy your turbo does kick in early. Mine is around 2,800 RPM

does yours hold boost upto the red line then. If so you are a lucky man.

yea, Me n Fatty went out the other day, but it was busy so couldnt red line it. I went out few days ago and OMG since putting the DP on it is so much smoother. My turbo charges really early but is only really noticeable at 2.5+ when it really comes in and throws me back in my seat at 3.5k ;) . but even at low rpm you can deff hear the DV dump nicely. I have never really gone thru the revs to see how it pulls till I tried to do it on VAG COM with Dave but coz we couldnt do it properly I tried it a few days ago and OMG is all Ill say. When driven properly the car is so powerful and pulls so hard.

lol it int. Was well up for it and was trying to get some other welsh boys n girls to convoy it over but I have been made aware that the weekend combe is on, its My GF's Mums Bday, same as last year.

am a bit ****ed really.