Head Unit Cons

Been thinking of changing the head in the RS, not because it sounds crap but it's just so boring to look at.

Had a look around Halfords the other day and I like the look of the new Pioneer DEH-P6500R or the Sony MEX-5DI with it's flash graphics, the thing is will I be able to use my existing Skoda CD changer with it?

ICE newbie calling all sound doctors.

Des

I think all cd-changers use the same interface and wires (except for the well known VW adaptor we need). Its just that some functions on the headunit might not be supported until you get the same brand (like CD-text or mp3 playback, etc).

But I might be talking ******** :D

Q.

Des,

I agree with you about the standard HU lookng boring (probably the reason why it's not top of the tea-leaf lists).

Standard HU is Grundig and the autochanger is by Panasonic.

However I belevie the coonector between them is a Blaupunkt type.

You could change the HU to a Panasonic but would have to sort out the connections.

I reckon it's much easier to change both and get the wiring adapter from Bluespot.

Changed my HU for a Blaupunkt Los Angeles MP72; lovely blue and red display. Haven't decide about what to do with regards to an autochanger but I'm leaning towards the Blaupunkt 1G Microdrive; instlallation is then soooo easy. Will fit in the glovebox or the the cubby beneath the sterring wheel.

Just MHO.

Cheers.

Adrian.

I was going to change the head unit anyway (to Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52) but just using the std one for a few days was driving me mad - kept switching the radio off when I went to adjust the volume!

If you want to increase the number and types of radio stations available - I can definitely recommend DAB (digital audio broadcast) - good auudio quality and stereo separation as well.

Quinten

Took the head unit out today and had a good look at the cons. There seems to be 5 connections on the back, the bottom and middle rows seem to be the main cons. for the head units power and speakers, the top row seem to be for the changer. The bottom and middle rows appear on the new head units (must be a standard con.) but not the skoda changer port. :(

Looks like I will have to get a new changer. :mad:

SkodiRS

Just seen the new JVC HU KD-LH3101 with it's PiC Technology. You can download your own images with digital equipment or from the internet onto the units LCD screen-90 still shots, 3 sec. video clip on start-up/shut-down, 9 sec. video clip screen saver, stunning.

Jaytee

My radio keeps changing channels when you first switch it on, very annoying. This DAB thing sounds interesting will investigate further.

Thanks Des

Des,

The changer connector on the top row is a blaupunkt type connector, although stick it in a blaupunkt radio and the changer which is panasonic still won't work. Adrian got it right, get both a changer and headunit. If you go blaupunkt and cant be bothered to run a new changer cable, either get the 1GB MP3 addon or an indash 5 disc unit that will fit into the cubbyhole under the stereo (IDC-A09) is the jobbie.

The speaker/power connections may look standard but the power connector has 2 differences to standard.

1) the switched/perm 12v wires are reversed.

2) the K wire to the ecu is present on the pin used for a 12v output.

So you need the adaptor, if you dont your stereo will forget its settings/memory everytime you turn it off and you will blowup your dealers diag tool if you leave the K wire connected.

I could have demo'd Digital Radio to you the other week at the midlands meet as I have a DAB52 as well. You get so many channels, with crystal clear sound. Funky had a quick listen to Radio1 on DAB.