Instrument cluster needle illumination

allclownsareevi

Has anyone tried illuminating the cluster needles via recoding the EPROM?

It's possible if the car has a VDO cluster and immobiliser III. that I'm sure of. Mine has a VDO cluster (Mk1 Superb) but unsure about immobiliser version.

Also you'd need to find the correct addresses to edit ..... have done similar to enable auto-windows already but struggling to find much info on instrument clusters. Any previous experiences on here .... or even a link to associated stuff?

My cluster has a controller ID of : "3U0 920 910 A" and component "KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V02"

Any help appreciated with this one.

If you want i can upload my Instrument cluster Eeprom, if there is anything you wanna see?

Actually that would be helpful, cheers. I take it you already have illuminated needles?

Nope i dont have the needles illuminated, but then you have some data to look at.

Yeah can do man. I have a rough idea of memory addresses to look at. Going to order a VagTacho cable and have a look at my own EEPROM dump, but in the meantime it might be helpful to look at some raw data. Will drop you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Cable arrived yesterday and got chance to look at my dash cluster eeprom tonight and .... success.

Have figured how to illuminate the needles, display and dials ... or any combination of them. Did it more as an exercise really. Always found reading the dash in bright sunlight and wearing shades is kinda hard. The procedure is a little in-depth and there's plenty of scope to screw things up if you get a step wrong .... possibly bricking your dash cluster, but you have to try these things.

Right now have programmed the instrument cluster to illuminate the dials and needles, leaving only the display backlight switched off. Just makes it a tad easier to see what speed I'm doing past the plods. :yes:

EDIT: oh and "woohoo" 'tis my 500th post. Seems a good way to celebrate.

Edited by allclownsareevi

• 1 year later...