VRS MDI ipod issue

So I visited my local dealer the other day and within 24 hours I'd done a deal on the new VRS they had in the showroom, bagged a few extras for nothing, VAT free and 0%, got a good price for my trade in too and have done 800 miles in the last week, quite please with it apart from one niggle.

The one they wanted to sell me didn't had the iPod connection, they agreed to take it from another new vehicle and fit it to mine for £130, very helpful, however, on playback at the start of each track it mutes for a nano second and then the audio starts, I politely asked them if this is right and I was told some do, some dont, surely this cant be right, is it the install, a firmware issue or the compatibilty with my iPod (touch)

Any ideas? thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've raised this with my dealer as well.

They've listened to it and admit it's not acceptable.

Car goes in on Monday to have the lumbar support sorted out, and they're going to check the MDI on a number of other Octavia's, if they all do it they're going to send a problem log to Skoda UK.

At the same time, I'm going to send a stinking letter to Skoda UK as well.

They may as well have sold me a CD player that jumps at the start of every track........what a waste of money.

All can say is, they'd better refund my cost of the MDI if they don't provide a firmware update......

Edited by Herschel

Mine does this but it's not right at the beginning - it's as if it starts then skips a fraction - it's fine from then on though.

I does it less with the iPod plugged in than it does when there's an iPhone plugged in though.

Can I ask a favour - can everyone who this happens to please complain to their dealer, so it gets logged.

The techy I spoke to suggested that it would probably get solved a lot more quickly if Skoda UK were aware of a lot of issues with it - when I spoke to them and raised it, they said it's the first time they'd ever heard of it happening/been told by a customer.

Edited by Herschel

Just a quick point.

Make sure your itunes/ipod is not set to add the break between each track (to help with music search or something), this can make it do this

G

Hi Bandit,

Mine does it on pretty much every track, so it's only those that start quietly where you don't notice it - that includes gapless albums, of which I have many!

It's definitely something that is wrong with either the MDI interface, or the Columbus/Bolero unit itself.

The vast majority of my tunes are AAC's and the manual explicitly states it can play AAC's.

I'm awaiting an answer from the dealer re: their log with Skoda UK; I'll post the response once I get it.

Cheers,

H

Just a quick point.

Make sure your itunes/ipod is not set to add the break between each track (to help with music search or something), this can make it do this

G

My iPhone is set to gapless play and I get the short pause on some tracks but not others and there does not seem to be a consistent pattern.

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out on the Australian forum a month or two ago now it annoys me.

The pause is not between tracks it actually occurs after a track starts playing so it's something to do with buffering or handling of the data. All the tracks on my iPhone are copied from original CD's by me using the same format so they are consistent which eliminates in my mind at least issues with lets say, inexpensive or free web downloads that may have been recorded strangely.

I have an old Mk3 (circa 2004) firewire interface 40GB iPod in the car that I connect via the aux connector in the centre console. The pause does not happen with that so I'm blaming the MDI interface rather than the Bolero at this stage.

Edited by K1W1