Dead PAS pump

Hi guys,

Long time lurker here hoping someone can help.

Last week the power steering on my girlfriends 2001 TDI 100 died with the light on the dashboard. Switched ignition on and off and all worked fine again. The next day same thing happened, except this time had to swtich ignition on and off aout 20 times before pas came back to life. The next day it was completely dead :o(

Took it to a garage and asked them to fit a new battery as knew the current one was getting on a bit and due for renewal and hoped this would sort it. Unfortunately no such luck. So then got in contact with devonutopia who kindly offered to plug his laptop in and do a vag-com check (thanks Jas, much appreciated). There was no error code for the angle sensor which is what I thought it might be, but there was '01309 power steering control module J500', after a bit of research it appears this module is attached to the pump itself and therefore a new one is needed - although please correct me if I'm wrong??

Obviously pumps are expensive and currently seem to be £550 retail, doh (Jorily seem to sell the older TRW for £450 though). Have found a reconditioned pump on eBay for £300 but the garage said that their suppliers don't offer reconditioned pumps as they don't consider they can be reliably reconditioned, has anyone had any experience of a reconditioned pump?? Would sourcing a 2nd hand pump from a breakers be a better idea?

Next query is part numbers, according to the post below I'm looking at 6Q0 423 156Q as we have one of the earlier fabias. However people seem to suggest that pumps from the polo/ibiza can also be fitted, however these seem to have different part numbers from what I've seen.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/92188-rubbish-fabia-power-steering/page__p__1131726__hl__%22Rubbish%20Fabia%20Power%20Steering%22__fromsearch__1#entry1131726

Sorry for all the questions, just wana make sure I know our options before shedding out a load of cash.

Thanks for any comments,

Dan.

Had same problem. New "expensive" pump was needed. Decided to buy a new one. Read somewhere that the reason for the pump failing is the insulation around the pump. When removing this it was dripping wet and falling apart. This insulation is no longer sold by Skoda with the pump. Because of this I did not want a used pump. I think this pump is fitted on several VAG-cars. Then it is one of 2 pumps (TRW and KOYO). You need to inspect the pump to see wich one you need. I have a 2000 Fabia 1.4 MPi and even Skoda did not know wich pump i should have without inspecting the car.

Fitting the pump is fairly easy. Only quite a few parts that need to be removed and refitted.

Had same problem. New "expensive" pump was needed. Decided to buy a new one. Read somewhere that the reason for the pump failing is the insulation around the pump. When removing this it was dripping wet and falling apart. This insulation is no longer sold by Skoda with the pump. Because of this I did not want a used pump. I think this pump is fitted on several VAG-cars. Then it is one of 2 pumps (TRW and KOYO). You need to inspect the pump to see wich one you need. I have a 2000 Fabia 1.4 MPi and even Skoda did not know wich pump i should have without inspecting the car.

Fitting the pump is fairly easy. Only quite a few parts that need to be removed and refitted.

Thanks for the response, I ended up going for a new pump and thankfully this sorted the problem. I ended up buying the pump from Jorily for £450 plus £10 delivery, a saving of £200 on the £551+VAT that I was quoted from the garage. Although fair play to the garage as they fitted it for about £65.

Thanks again to Jas who did a vag-com check for me saving me £40 and a few days wait for the garage to do it.