Advice needed on HU change

andyvee

Hi

I recently bought a used 55 plate (2006MY) Octavia 2.0TDI L&K Estate. This came with the Nexus (MFD2) fitted - but it appears to be a retrofit as I reckon the GPS antenna is in the dash, not in the roof mounted aerial. There is also a 12v feed that has been taken from the internal fusebox and heads off over in the direction of the Nexus - not sure what this is for though yet.

Anyway, I have a TomTom LIVE device so the MFD2 is kind of surplus to requirements - no traffic info, out of date maps, poor routing algorithms, can't add my own POIs etc etc. The sound quality is also less than impressive from CDs.

So, to cut a long story short - what are my options in replacing it???

I would like native mp3 cd playback as an absolute minimum, and an improved sound quality over the Nexus.

If I can get ipod and phone connectivity even better, as well as retain the boot mounted cd autochanger. Retaining the steering wheel controls and Maxidot integration is a must. If I can get the Parking Sensor display on the radio even better. Reading about CANbus upgrades etc with newer HUs I don't know what is my best bet - Stream mp3 or Bolero??? The car has had a recall done on it for battery drain - the recall number was 91A1 if that means anything to anyone???

All advice welcome and there may be a Nexus up for sale soon.......

Andy

Edited by andyvee

Bolero might be an attractive option if full iPod control is higher up on the priority list. With that you can then add on the MDI interface, which can be retrofitted. With the Stream MP3 the best you'll get in iPod terms is basic playback if you wire an AUX socket in.

Steve