website assistance needed please

jonnycatbiscuit

Mrs Jonnycatbiscuit has a website that sells handbags and similar stuff. It's called www.bagmad.me

(and this isn't a free plug)

from being complete technophobes we built the website ourselves using "RVSitebuilder" (included in the software when we bought the domain name)

I've added metatags and metadescriptions and stuff like that, and now when products she stocks are typed into google the website appears on page one in most circumstances.

The problem is this though... (and I apologise for using examples, but I can't explain otherwise)

If you google "kate garey handbags" (which she stocks), there is a listing for bagmad on page 1 about ten entries from the top. The only thing is, this link is to an OLD version of the site which looks cr*p and doesn't have the recent price reductions.

If however, you simply type in "bagmad", the first listing is for the newest version of the site.

Anyone know why this is, and more importantly how I can fix it???

Please????

Anyone know why this is, and more importantly how I can fix it???

Please????

It's linking to Bags.php rather than your default index page - you could either remove the Bags.php file from your server and wait for Google to update, or you could set Bags.php to redirect to the new site.

It's linking to Bags.php rather than your default index page - you could either remove the Bags.php file from your server and wait for Google to update, or you could set Bags.php to redirect to the new site.

Cheers Rob, even though I don't understand what you have just said.

How do I do that? (the simpler of the two options....)

Cheers Rob, even though I don't understand what you have just said.

How do I do that? (the simpler of the two options....)

The safer option is to redirect traffic, as you might find there are other sites linking directly to the Bags.php page - if you delete the page they might just get a "Page Not Found" error which tends to put people off.

If your hosting provider gives you a File Manager type application, you should be able to go into that, find the Bags.php file and then edit it...replace the whole contents of the file with:

<?php header("Location: http://www.bagmad.me"); ?>

And make sure there's no blank lines or anything above this in the file.

Save the file, and bob's your mother's brother.

The safer option is to redirect traffic, as you might find there are other sites linking directly to the Bags.php page - if you delete the page they might just get a "Page Not Found" error which tends to put people off.

If your hosting provider gives you a File Manager type application, you should be able to go into that, find the Bags.php file and then edit it...replace the whole contents of the file with:

<?php header("Location: http://www.bagmad.me"); ?>

And make sure there's no blank lines or anything above this in the file.

Save the file, and bob's your mother's brother.

Thanks Rob, you are a star of the highest magnitude.

I will try that tomorrow morning, as I am off to Sunny (?) Winchester shortly to start my late shift :o(