Loading / suspension advice wanted

Hi,

I found the rear suspension of my '08 Octavia gets very low when fully loaded (bikes on the towbar + roofbox). Certainly the top of the tyre (205/55 r16) goes under the arch at the rear when it's loaded and it only feels as if it has a few cm of travel left in it, and it tends to bottom out the towbar mount over small undulations. I think the Max payload is around 550kg, but I've never loaded more than a generous estimated 390kg + fuel (2 adults, 2 kids, bikes and carrier, roofboxbox/bars and contents + luggage). We're planning our holiday to France which is quite a long journey, the last time I took a focus and had no worries with the suspension and only a slightly lighter load (by about 50kg), but I'm more concerned about this car (despite it being bigger) because of the suspension travel.

The front suspension never looks overloaded . When unladen it drives fine and had good clearance (4 fingers width tyre to arch as an approximation), when loaded it drives ok but has bottomed out on the towbar.

Does this sound ok? Is it worth considering augmenting / adjusting the rear suspension for loads and if so how, or is it worth considering aftermarket springs?

Thanks in advance :)

you could get yourself 4x4 springs, i have moved or six tonne digger about the yard on a trailer with or 4x4 and havend had any problems. you should pick these up from most autoparts stores.

on another note have to considered the fact that the shocks might be done is it worth a trip to the local skoda dealer to get them checked over

Have a look at spring assisters from a company called MAD Suspension , They are a Dutch company with an agent in Milton Keynes, Had a similar problem due to weight of spares that I have in back of car for work. They worked really well for me, If you drive with no weight in the back then back about 20mm higher than standard , not a problem for me as car loaded 95% of time.

Have a look at spring assisters from a company called MAD Suspension , They are a Dutch company with an agent in Milton Keynes, Had a similar problem due to weight of spares that I have in back of car for work. They worked really well for me, If you drive with no weight in the back then back about 20mm higher than standard , not a problem for me as car loaded 95% of time.

:thumbup: For MAD !!

not sure how much weight i carry but must be quite a bit, im a traffic signal engineer and carry lots of spares/ladders and tools etc all in the boot, i think because of the design of the car to give it such a large boot for for its class, most weight behind the rear wheels rather than over it, they may sit a little low, some of our work cars have had heavy duty springs fitted to help, but as our cars stay loaded most of the time its no wounder they sit so low. although my cars not too bad, but its only got 29k on it.