Fuel Economy Issue

Hello All

Back when we were experiencing the -10 degree weather we all noticed a significant drop in our Diesel's economy... my question is how many are still noticing a small drop in average economy now that the temperatures are steady over freezing some days 10 degrees plus!!!

I am experiencing approx 5% drop in fuel economy at the moment on my 08 plate Fabia 3 1.9TDi

I will appreciate your feedback

Kind Regards

Timelord1.9TDi

Hello All

Back when we were experiencing the -10 degree weather we all noticed a significant drop in our Diesel's economy... my question is how many are still noticing a small drop in average economy now that the temperatures are steady over freezing some days 10 degrees plus!!!

I am experiencing approx 5% drop in fuel economy at the moment on my 08 plate Fabia 3 1.9TDi

I will appreciate your feedback

Kind Regards

Timelord1.9TDi

Mine is similar to yours now the weather has warmed up. I was down about 7 mpg when it was really cold. I have clawed back about 3-4 mpg. I cant say its just the weather because the increase coincided with changing fuel. Mine always had Esso fuel almost exclusively since new. I happened to fill with Shell fuelsaver as I was down to fumes last week. MY greenline seems to like it. I expected no difference at all but I now have more torque low down and for some reason on that tank the mpg went up by 5 mpg.

This isnt brim method. The trip has gone up by 3-4 mpg over 4 identical journeys totalling 430 miles. Maybe Shell winter diesel has a bit more go in it than others....who knows. The DPF regens since changing fuel have been of shorter duration and quieter for some reason. No change in frequency.

Well, all that was a long winded way of saying my mpg has improved but not quite to what it was in summer.

Edited by raisbeck

Hi Timelord, yep...completely normal. My fuel economy doesn't go back to summer levels until we get rid of the winter diesel (it has a slightly lower calorific value but you prolly know that). I'm about 8% down on overall fuel economy at the moment brim to brim, but showing a 10% drop on some longer runs when I push the envelope a bit. Again that's normal, happens every year and made worse by the use of all the other electrical items we need in winter and the slower warm ups too. :thumbup:

Good info about Shell Raisbeck. In the trade Shell diesel was always known for it's better engine cleaning ability. I used to use it all the time myself in my diesels and indeed it was good, producing low emmissions etc, but can't get it locally now where I live without driving up the dual carriageway for several miles. But I guess what you are saying is, it's still blooming good stuff! However, you can get a real improvement in performance and economy by dosing your diesel once a year with Millers fuel system and injector cleaner for diesels. It works wonders and indeed my Skoda dealer put it in free of charge in my car at the last service!

I guess this will be different in different parts of the UK, but where I am there's been a lot of gusty wind about in the last couple of days to go with the higher temperatures. I imagine this doesn't help fuel economy either.

Good info about Shell Raisbeck. In the trade Shell diesel was always known for it's better engine cleaning ability. I used to use it all the time myself in my diesels and indeed it was good, producing low emmissions etc, but can't get it locally now where I live without driving up the dual carriageway for several miles. But I guess what you are saying is, it's still blooming good stuff! However, you can get a real improvement in performance and economy by dosing your diesel once a year with Millers fuel system and injector cleaner for diesels. It works wonders and indeed my Skoda dealer put it in free of charge in my car at the last service!

Whats this....A Skoda dealer going against their own recommendations and using an additive !! Only joking. I still see the no additive reference in the manual referring only to flow improvers. Mine goes in for service in 3 weeks so I will see if they are happy to add some injector cleaner.

If you believe the market hype fuelsaver has sufficient additive to keep your engine/injectors happy. Next fill up I will use fuelsaver again. I cant prove scientifically any improvement but my car is definitely more responsive and the mpg is noticeably better. Its not placebo as I wasnt expecting any improvement. Its on my route and as horrifically priced as any other diesel fuel at the moment.

As for Timelords low rolling resistance tyres. My Greenline never had them, they are just thinner than regular Fabia tyres (166-70-14) inflated higher than you normally would. Seems an mpg 'cheat' from EU testing made it in to the real world. I get perfect wear pattern on them although a slightly harder ride. I mentioned it on another forum that I always inflated to the max allowable on my previous Fabia + a little bit. Handled better, tyres wore more evenly and my mpg improved....all at the expense of a slightly firmer ride and a little more road noise. Its a simple cheat that Skoda simply made official on the Greenline by putting a sticker on it with higher than standard pressures. No other car with these same tyres has these pressures.......

I think we have to wait until about March before we get full fat diesel again.