De-tuning remapped Vrs

Jcb.

As above really. If I bought a vrs which had been remapped, but wanted to return it stock power. Would it be possible to buy a second hand ECU from a breakers for example and swap them over? Or is it alot more involved? I.e everything would have to be coded to the new ECU?

Thank

Edit: I should say, I know of a vrs which has two ECUs, one standard and one remapped which is just slotted in for track days. This is why I ask, otherwise I would assume you would have far too much issue with imobiliser etc.

Edited by Jcb.

That sounds like the most reasonable solution. I just wondered if there was a way of keeping the remapped ECU in the case of track days or for the future when insurance drops a bit. Probably not a way that doesn't involve huge amounts of coding etc then.

As far as im aware if you can get hold of Exactly the same ECU for the same engine code ETC you can just plug it in! But dont hold me to that im sure somebody will be along soon who knows bout ECU Swapping

As far as im aware if you can get hold of Exactly the same ECU for the same engine code ETC you can just plug it in! But dont hold me to that im sure somebody will be along soon who knows bout ECU Swapping

I've thought about this for MOT time. To avoid any doubt with emissions, a standard ECU would mean a pass. Not sure about the implications regarding the honesty of the whole thing, but as an upstanding citizen I'd never do such a thing...

it is possible to swap ecu's but can be a pain to code the immob.

the new software we have is supposed to be able to switch the immob off but i have not tried it yet

also, a remapped car should not fail the emissions test on an mot, if it does it means that there is something else wrong.

I agree, but was looking towards the future and if the proposed changes to the MOT test became enforceable. It was this thread that got me thinking

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/186601-mot-changes-2012/

Swapping the ecu might be a way round it if you don't have a switchable map.

So it's possible but would require getting the second ECU recoded either way. Which i'm guessing would likely be as much as a remap in itself?

As an aside felicia16v, what is your tuning box like on your 110tdi? How does it compare to a remap?

don't drive it before you get it de-remapped as it will be like driving a bus in comparison and will make you wish you hadn't had it done.

I did that when I was inbetween maps once. It felt like someone had removed half of the engine. Going back to the standard map felt like a normally aspirated car,. It's amazing what you get used to.

One way to make a standard car feel fast is to have a hire/loan car for a week such as a Fiesta or Punto with the smallest engine in. When you get back in yours, it feels like a rocket again. :rofl: