vrs turbo change .....

Hi, looking for some pics, advice, know how on a turbo change I am planning on this weekend.

Worked on lots of turbo car s ie rs turbos, cossies, 200sx, pulsar gtir etc but no tdi s or fabias etc.

Thanks in advance Matt.

Ie, Is it best/need be to remove the inlet manifold ? Etc etc .......

Edited by matt-sab

Get it on ramps and have something to stand on to lean over the engine(unless you're really tall :rofl: ). Make sure you have the proper size allen socket for removing the exhaust manifold bolts. Also, you may need a spline drive socket to hammer into the remains of the allen bolt when it doesn't come under! :-) Also, you'll need to remove drivers side strut and drive shaft(M12 spline socket I think) to get the turbo out. Don't think I took the inlet manifold off. Not particularly difficult, just a bit fiddly. Think I removed the EGR valve aswell to give myself a bit more room, and so I could give it a scrub at the same time!

Hi thanks for the advice and listing some of the tools too, not got any spline sockets ....... best I get some. I looked at the job and thought removing the inlet would give me room to bring the turbo up and out .....

Thanks again Matt.

I'll be honest, didn't realise the turbo would come out of the top, gap didn't look big enough even with the manifold off. If it does, surely that's gotta be easier than dismantling the suspension and drive shaft?

Edited by jacko2111

Just started mine, I am going down the inlet off route as ir badly needs a clean out, also removing the alard egr delete and refitting a new egr valve.

Got all new gaskets etc ready......

Matt k123, how long it took u so far ?

Thanks for the advice and differing routes.

Matt.

Just started mine, I am going down the inlet off route as ir badly needs a clean out, also removing the alard egr delete and refitting a new egr valve.

Got all new gaskets etc ready......

Matt k123, how long it took u so far ?

Thanks for the advice and differing routes.

Matt.

4-5 hours on and off, but we are both mechanics! we didn't even think about taking it off from underneath, but it wasn't on a ramp when we started!