Just got new Octavia 1.6 TDI CR

Hi Guys,

Took delivery of a used 1.6 diesel Octavia last week and am starting to get into the swing of things behind the wheel and enjoy the vehicle.

I understand what you guys mean regarding tyre/road noise. On the right surface the car is as quiet as a mouse but some surfaces develope more road noise than others.

I am please to report it has so far always drawn a small but appreciative crowd in the works car park !!!

Have not had chance to do any MPG testing yet as i simply have not run off my first full tank yet.

The only (so far) concern i have is regarding the clutch take up in first gear. Particularly when the engine is cold the take up from a stand still is very juddery and can only be reduced by applying around 1500 rpm engine speed.Once the engine is warm/hot the take up is much smoother even from lower revs. Once the car is up and away there is no vibration or excess type of noise atall.

My previous vehicle, a Focus 1.8 TDCI, was very smooth at even very low revs in 1st gear, is it me still getting the hang of it or something i should discuss with the dealer.

The vehicle is 7 months old with 13K on and as the dealer informed me "direct from Skoda UK".

Just out of interest, god forbid i ever have a problem with it,but how do you know if the dual mass fly wheel is beginning to fail.

Regards to all

S

My 2008 2.0TDi does the same and has done from new.

The clutch plates get moist overnight/when its cold.

A couple of standing/hill starts drys them out and as you mention its fine from then on...

Do a forum search for 'clutch judder' and you'll find plenty of threads on it...

I bought a used Superb PD130 last week and have exactly the same problem. I'm not sure mine gets better when it warms up though :(

Maybe it needs more drive time (I've only driven it twice since getting it) and it has been really damp and misty this week :S

Having researched on here it seems to be a common problem but people learn to live with it, and the clutch goes on and on. I've decided to take out a warranty with Warranty Direct anyway, just in case ;)

The 1.6TDI engine needs to be driven as a petrol engine at low rpm speeds as the low speed torque is quite low when compared with other diesels. Below 1500 rpm there is not a lot of torque and if starting from a standing start the engine speed should be at least 1500 rpm or more.

Thanks for the replies guys.had the car checked by my local garage today non skoda who does look after around 6 of the old type 1.9pd engines.he tells me they all have slight judder buy mine is the worst of the lot. A bit disappointed.

He suggests I get it back to the dealer for a check over before the warranty runs out but on checking the paperwork this evening I find the clutch is classed as a wearing part and only covered for 6 months from new.

Will give the dealer a call and see what they have to say

The dealer told me that they considered a clutch to in warranty up to 15k, when I had a slight judder on my previous 1.9pd.

the cluctch and flywheel appears to be the weak spot of the octavia. whether dmf or not. some go on forever and others like mine have had to be replaced fairly early into their life. if you google skoda octavia and clutch like i have in the past you will find that lost of owners experience the judder you are talking about.

As I probably said elsewhere, clean off that rust and dampness with a little bit of gentle clutch slip at low revs and the judder should be gone for a while.