1.4 TSI Ordered

We have recently ordered an Octavia 1.4 TSI hatch in Cappuccino and Ivory interior. Just took advantage of the zero VAT before it finished.

Looking forward to picking the car up whenever that might be, have no delivery date yet, probably June/July.

Chose the lighter seats as all recent cars (non Skodas)have been sombre dark materials and fancied a change.

Just wondering if anyone out there can tell me if the carpets are also ivory or are they black?

Thanks for any help :)

You get ivory carpet too. My previous Octy was ivory and I bought a set of the proper Skoda mats in ivory to match. I also don't like the dark interiors, so ordered ivory for the current car - when it was delivered it came with black trim. Given the state my young kids left the ivory in the previous car I decided to stick with the black - I don't mind it too much now, but would prefer some more grey rather than black bits to lighten things up.

The result is I have a set of ivory mats that are surplus to requirements. Don't know where you are, but if you wanted them, you would be welcome.

Many thanks for the replies.

We don't have to worry about young children now and the effect they have on car interiors but I am a bit concerned about having light coloured carpets.They could soon look grubby.

As and when the car arrives I might be taking you up, themacster, on your mats offer although the fact you are in Gloucester and I am in North Derbyshire may be a problem :(

How are you guys liking the 1.4tsi, is there anything I should be aware of having not had a Skoda before and what sort of fuel consumption do you achieve? I know this is very subjective and depends on the driver but any indication would be welcome.

Many thanks for the replies.

We don't have to worry about young children now and the effect they have on car interiors but I am a bit concerned about having light coloured carpets.They could soon look grubby.

As and when the car arrives I might be taking you up, themacster, on your mats offer although the fact you are in Gloucester and I am in North Derbyshire may be a problem :(

How are you guys liking the 1.4tsi, is there anything I should be aware of having not had a Skoda before and what sort of fuel consumption do you achieve? I know this is very subjective and depends on the driver but any indication would be welcome.

Re your last paragraph, I have the 1.4 TSI Elegance Estate (DSG) and have been very pleased with it. You certainly get a lot for your money. I do a mixture of local and motorway driving and get an average of around 40 mpg, although I do drive it gently and never put it into sports mode. When I ordered the car, the dealer only had a 2-litre diesel demonstrator, so I wasn't able to test drive the 1.4 TSI. I was a bit concerned that the 1.4 may be under-powered, but I needn't have worried. My previous car was a 2.5 litre 20 valve Volvo V70 but the Octavia actually out-performs it!

If you are having the DSG, I do find that you have to be really gentle on the accelerator when pulling away from standstill, otherwise you pull away with a jerk and squealing tyres and everyone thinks you are a boy racer. Once you get used to gentle acceleration it's fine.

If I have any gripes about the car it's firstly that I find the seats aren't particularly comfortable. They are very hard and there seems to be very little padding in them. If you are having manual seats I find that the lumbar support adjustment wheel does absolutely nothing on my manual passenger seat, although the electric adjustment on the driver's seat is much better.

Secondly, although the engine is extremely quiet, you do get quite a bit of road noise through the tyres. I always find it is a pleasure to come across a newly laid stretch of tarmac when the noise stops.

Don't let these things put you off the car though. Overall I think it's a great car and certainly worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, DevonDave, some useful observations there.

I am going for the Elegance Hatchback manual. Would have liked the estate and DSG but current situations wouldn't allow to stretch that far. The main aim was to get something bigger and more comfortable and the zero VAT was the ideal opportunity to do that. I noted with interest your comments about the seat comfort, I didnt find them too bad on the admittedly short test drive.

I am sure it will be more comfortable than our current Mazda 2 1.6D Sport with its rock hard ride and low profile tyres which generate a lot of road noise, anything will be an improvement :yes:

I suppose the one thing I might miss is the 60 - 70 mpg but it will be good to have a petrol engine again without that constant diesel clatter.

There seemed to be sufficient power in the 1.4tsi when I tested it, like you I consider myself a gentle driver , but I do like to have some power available when needed. Also around 40 mpg is what I would hope to achieve maybe a bit more :)

Just have to sit back and wait now , not had any definite delivery times yet, but reading the comments on the forum these can vary quite a bit.

Had the 1.4tsi manual estate for just over 6 weeks and 2100 miles, no worries about having power, it's no VRS but can fend for it's-self alright, it has taken the smile of a couple of faces so far, at 55 I should be past the BR time of life, (and know better) but sometimes its just to tempting.

Like you I went from Diesel to Petrol, hardest bit was getting used to using the revs, TSI though having good spread of torque delivers more up the rev range, no more rolling of roundabouts in 3rd im afraid.

I drive - town, carriage way (70ish) A and B road in equal measure to and from work 20m each way, the B road is FUN, Averaging 34.3 at present.

My 206SW 1.6HDI-110 averaged 47.6 (again over a couple of thousand miles) being driven in much the same way as the Octy. IE, nippin on but not brutal.

Ride is good, 15" alloys on the SE, seats comfy with good range of adjustment, road noise can be bad on rough road surface.

hope this helps.

John.