Haldex 4 System - Concerned

servicepoint

The Haldex 4 unit used in the Yeti uses an OPEN rear differential. The only thing that vaguely resembles a diff lock of some sort is the EDS provided by the ESP/brake system. It tries to brake a spinning wheel by applying the brake on that wheel. Not a real "off road system", but it works OK for what the car is designed to cope with.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JonA - where do you get your info? Most of the info on the net seems to say Haldex 4, with open front and rear diffs and EDL only on the front. However one of the Haldex presentations does show an integrated clutch and limited slip diff on the rear axle implemented on the tt, altea freetrack, Octavia, etc. Whatever the system, you don't see the rear wheels spinning when off the ground.

I've personally had no problems with my Yeti over almost 20,000 miles in all kinds of weather from very good to appalling. It's done two European treks with three on board and luggage. With winter tyres it's been totally surefooted.

I have friends with BMWs who can't believe that a Skoda can be as good as their X3/5s, let alone better.

I would go and try another BMW.

John

JonA - where do you get your info? Most of the info on the net seems to say Haldex 4, with open front and rear diffs and EDL only on the front. However one of the Haldex presentations does show an integrated clutch and limited slip diff on the rear axle implemented on the tt, altea freetrack, Octavia, etc. Whatever the system, you don't see the rear wheels spinning when off the ground.

I'm a certified Skoda Master Technician. You are correct about both front and rear differentials being open :) The integrated clutch package you see in presentations is the Haldex coupling which connects the rear diff with the output shaft comming from the gearbox. This clutch package is activated by oil pressure produced by an electrical pump. The pressure is controlled by an electric valve. This system does not need spinning front wheels to build up pressure to activate the Haldex coupling. EDS works on all wheels.

If the rear diff was equipped with a mechanical diff lock, the rear wheel in the air on videos would rotate with the same speed as the one on the ground.

Regards

JonA :)

JonA has the right information.

I queried Halsex this morning and received the following confirmation:

Hi Jesper,

There is no transversal limited slip coupling in the rear axle of Skoda Yeti. Only the longitudinal as on aother Skoda models.

The Off-Road button on the dash board has no effect on the Haldex unit.

Best Regards,

Sofie Wahlgren

Marketing Coordinator

Phone:

+46 418 47 67 53

BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems AB

JonA - great information - we've been kicking this about on this thread for ages and its good to have some reliable information! :-) The stuff on Haldex 4 on the internet is unreliable as it includes the electronic limited slip diff which is only used on some models e.g. SAABs.

Can I take it the Octavia Scout is the same basic transmission i.e. Haldex 4 and EDL on all wheels?

Cheers,

Les.

Can I take it the Octavia Scout is the same basic transmission i.e. Haldex 4 and EDL on all wheels?

Cheers,

Les.

See the response from Haldex above: all Skoda Haldex IV are the same configuration.