Turbo/limp home mode

bush

I've got a problem with my TDI estate mk1. On first exceleration after start from cold she drops into limp mode. It sounds like I have a quiet dump valve fitted when it does it. It may do it again but not usually until it cools down again. Any suggestions were I should look to fix the problem?

If it's gone into limp mode it will have stored a fault code, which will help pin down the problem. You need to get a diagnostic done (Vagcom/VCDS).

You can get an OBD11 cable on ebay for around £15 which usually comes with Vagcom software.

Edited by pauldazzle

• 1 month later...

There are quite a few options for the cause of the limp mode so getting it scanned for fault codes really is the way forward.

Look in the diagnostics forum to see if anyone near you has VCDS.

I have got a fault code on my diesel - it is code 16618 - so far as i can ascertain this is a turbo over boost problem. has anyone else had this fault and if so what does it normally mean? is it that the turbo is on its' way out or is this indicative of some other problem.

any info which you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.