Biofuel (E10) petrol Yeti TSI owners recommendation?

Weidehopf

Do other Yeti owners use the new "10% biofuel" petrol in their TSI engines?

I understand the 1.2 TSI and 1.8 TSI engines can theoretically use E10 Super grade petrol here in Germany, but I had very bad experiences with my Moto Guzzi motorbike (also theoretically ok) - it was overheating due to the different combustion temperature/tuning and there are reports of the increased hygroscopic nature of the 10% biofuel leading to degradation of rubber seals, O-rings etc. leading to breakdowns and refits. My Guzzi is still in the shop undergoing repairs and retune.

In general the E10 biofuel 'super' grade is supposed to be 3% less efficient that the normal (5% biofuel) content 'Super' petrol. Have owners detected a reduction in their economy using this fuel? That would totally remove the cost saving of 3c/liter here in any case.

Cheers, Jonathan

Since I drive a Diesel, it does not apply directly, but it is my understanding that all VW products have been prepared for E10 since about 2000.

Discussions on a BMW K100 forum also indicates that BMW motorcycles af the vintage like mine (1992) would be OK - low pressure throttle body fuel injection at 2.5 bar or so. The Yeti should be justy fine, but as to whether there are advantages or not, I have no opinion. The actual combustion temperature should be less with E10+ than straight petrol - less energy from the ethanol than from petrol.