Interior lights out, fixed and working.

Who would have guessed!

Posted brief intro, but Hi all again.

Got a Superb on monday, it had already had a leak and lost interior lighting, which after spending a while reading posts here, gave me the confidence that I could sort this problem out if i purchased a car and had it happen. However I looked at a car that I liked and already had interior lights out so used the fault to get £500 off the asking price.

Now Im sure that some would not recomend buying one that has already leaked, but there are 2 types of Superbs, those that have leaked and those that havnt YET.

Disconnected the battery first, then spent a few hours taking rear seat and pasanger seat out and lifting carpet to dry out, I found a big patch of green round the large bunch of red wires in the rear footwell and cut back and cleaned wires with wire wool and resoldered and put it all back together thinking it was just those that was the problem.

Bingo, footwell, vanity, boot, puddle and interior lights all working, however lights not coming on when the doors are opened.

Left it to today to look again, all front ones are ok but 2 other rear nodes came off when I pulled it leaving 2 sets of 6 unconnected wires. These were blue/grey and red/blue I think. Done the soldering again, twisting 2 wires together and soldering, then wrapping with a wire strand and soldering all 6 together, insulated and interior back in and once reconected the battery it all worked, Im a happy bunny.

I also removed battery and metal tray under it on Monday to remove the bung and pulled the one under the servo up while I could get to it, so thats that problem solved. I will be getting the parts to reseal the pollen filter housing too.

My friend has a Superb as a cab too, its leaked but hasnt lost lights and we will be doing the pollen filter housing on that also.

He has just fitted new front shocks and CV joints at 208,000 miles and had to use a blow lamp on the pinch bolts, so I will be pulling mine off to grease at the weekend. This is the first suspention parts he has had to replace on his car sofar.

From a little phoning about I have got hold of one of the Skoda dealer that did a servis at 76,000 miles and they also replaced the front drop links at 78,000 miles too.

My car is on longlife servise and I only have stamps at 20,000 and 76,000 miles, and only have receipt for the 76,000 mile one. Are they every 20,000 miles of is it flexable.

I will be doing servising at about 8-10,0000 miles, can I reset car to time/distance on the dash myself, and should I stick with VW 507 oil or can I use VW 505 01?

Thanks

Edited by bryan350lc

Help - First of all well done Bryan - always a good feeling to achieve the objective and with minimum pain...

I'm attempting the same task and managed to clear the water under the battery and clear the gunk in the guttering but now I'm having a problem removing the pollen filter housing from under the 'scuttle' (i.e. the plastic shield that runs the width of the windscreen immediately under the wipers) Do I need to take the scuttle off completely or just loosen it? either way how? it seems to be very solid - any advice would be gratefully received.

Duncan.