Skoda Octavia 2 1.9Tdi PD 5spd Manual Clutch Problem Help Please

I own a 2009 1.9 TDI estate Octavia SE and I am experiencing a problem with the clutch. After a longer journeys on the motorway (in 5th gear all the time) the clutch pedal becomes quite soft, with empty pedal stroke, so the clutch seems to engage only at the very end, when pedal is all the way in. Pumping the pedal several times put things right, but only temporarily. For short journeys around town, you would not even notice there is a problem (All normal).

I have dropped my car off at the Claybank Skoda Dealership today, they have said they will road test the vehicle to ascertain what the fault is. They want to replicate the fault as I complained about this for the first time some time in March, before my warranty ran out and was told my clutch was just a little heavier than normal. I was also told that this was normal as this could vary from car to car. At the time they were unable to replicate. Last night I returned from London after travelling quite fast in 5th gear only to stop at the end of a sliproad to find the clutch had become featherlite and I was unable to engage any of the gears. I pumped the clutch peddle 3-4 time till it felt firm again and it operated enough to allow gear changes. Service chap drove it this afternoon and could not replicate fault. He told me it was out of warranty and would be a chargable job. I explained I complained whilst it was under warranty and unfortunately they were unable to replicate the fault. This does not mean the fault did not exist. If replicated I have authorised them 1 hours labour to investigate I hope that this will be considered as a warranty job as the car is a 3 year old octy 2 fl with just over 31000 on the clock.

Anybody have any ideas what the dealer is likely to come back with?

More importantly anybody know how this can be repaired?

Thanks to all who read and offer help and advice in advance.

Priyesh

Normally I'd say the DMF has to be replaced with all the rest like clutch and so on, which amounts up to around 1000 Pounds....

But when you say pumping a few times makes it work it might also be an air bubble in the fluid or a damaged master- or slave-cylinder.

I think one of them is easy to replace, for the other the gearbox has to come out, in which case I would highly recommend to also replace the clutch. It's a "while they're at it" - thing ;-)

Edited by ArthurDaley

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem, replaced a clutch, replaced master and slave cylinder bled the clutch, which it worked for about a week and then the same thing has happened, i have now been told to somehow back bleed the clutch as there is air in some pipe at the back which only will be resolved if done this, can anyone assist or has anyone done this ?? also priyesh is yours fine now ? as i bled clutch and brakes but it only lasts a week,