1.8 TSI problem

I'm the owner of a 1.8 tsi that is a bit more than 3 years and has done 140.000km.

Initially I had problems with the radiator fans that was not running. Was changed on warranty.

Had several problems with the min. oil level. First a software upgrade then a change of the sensor on warranty.

Then followed problems with the driver seat that had a cracking sound, like somthing was mispositioned in the back rest. This was sort of repaired on warranty, but is has never been like the passenger seat.

Had then the fog lights replaced because of water droplets inside.

After app. 75.000 km the clutch started to slip in 4th and 6th gear (it is DSG 7 speed). I repeatedly told the dealer, but when the car was there it had no faults. The slipping would come and go. After driving on the german autobahn it would be bad. But after a trip to Sweden with calm driving the problem would be gone. After 120.000 the slipping was so bad it was noticed also by the dealer. He said the car was now out of warranty and we needed to split the bill for the new clutch. I paid 1100€ for the new clutch.

After this repair the slipping has gone.

I ran the car for a couple of weeks but the on a trip to Sweden it started to run bad in idle. I had it in at a local garage that found 4 faults logged on the engine. The faults was of the sensor type faults, so I thought it was a simple matter.

I drove the car home to my Danish dealer and left it at his place. Then he called my a few days later telling me that the timing chain tensioner had failed and the car needed a new engine. There would be no help from the dealer or Skoda and I would need to pay more than 9000€ for the new engine. I asked for some help but they told me that because they helped me with the clutch there was no more support from the local dealer or the Skoda importer.

I then told them I would pich up the car. I had it transported to Germany where a skilled garage was able to repair the engine with two new cam shafts and a new timing chain kit. total 2900,-€

Now the car has a bit of a strange sound that I fear comes from the DSG. With the luck I'm having the car will propably need a new DSG box soon........

I really like the car but has never had similar problems with a car. The parts that has failed has all been VW related parts. I assume the same problems could be with a Passat.

The support from the dealer and Skoda Denmark has been plain rude....

Sorry to hear about your problems with the car.

Just from reading this forum I gathered that issues with DSG are very common and are repaired under warranty.

Timing chain - wow, you'd say it should last forever and I thought problems with tensioners were only in 1.2TSI... If I were you I'd be contacting Skoda directly as this simply shouldn't have happend in a 3 years old car.

In general I just wonder what has happened to all this modern technology - better accuracy, better materials, better everything and still results are pretty poor. I own a Vectra since new and number of problems I experienced, well, I simply wasn't expecting that many. I am very anxious about my potential future with Skoda, especially when I read posts like yours...