Wind noise (hiss) from rear passenger doors - Superb Estate

I wonder if anybody else has noticed this. At speed (70 mph) I get quite a pronounced 'hiss' from somewhere around the rear passenger doors. As you go faster the hiss gets louder. Now I know 70 mph is the UK limit but I'm off to France in a few weeks and at about 80 mph (130 kmp/h, the French autoroute limit) it's getting quite loud. At lower speeds you don't get it and it seems worse in cross winds. I've asked the dealer to investigate and as usual they can't find anything!

• Like 1

Doesn't happen on mine either - might be worth closing the B pillar vents and ensuring that the luggage 'blind'(for lack of a better word) is closed to minimise road noise. You probably need to have someone sit back there while you're travelling at that speed so that you can localise the noise.

Did this start recently or has it always been a problem?

Do you think that it sounds more like tyre noise or wind noise?

the only sound from mine is the vibration from the engine when it changes into 5th and 6th gear at 40mph or when the engine is between 1200-2000 revs sometimes i wish i had bought a manual really annoying. apart from that its perfect.

tankdave.

your car is the same as mine do you not suffer from this vibration

Thanks all. It's always been there - definitely wind noise. The car has now done 22,000 miles so not new any more. Rear blind always closed. It's more annoying in France with the higher cruising speed. I'll have another go with the dealer.

it might be the seal around the 1/4 window (if that's the correct term), try putting some masking tape around rubber seals, and see if it makes any difference. I had this problem, with a previous octavia, and had to have glass and rubber seals replaced, this cured the problem.

tankdave.

your car is the same as mine do you not suffer from this vibration

I occasionally notice it seems to change up too early like you say and it seems in a gear to high at 30 & 40mph. I don't do much driving at these speeds so that's one reason I don't get annoyed by it and another is perhaps I've gotten used to it?

• 10 months later...

I had this on my MY2010 Estate and took it to the dealer for rectification under warranty. They had a preprinted instruction sheet from Skoda detailing what they had to do to refit the small quarter light (near side rear) so as to get the rubber seal tighter to the door along the rear or trailing edge of the quarter light. This they succeeded in doing very well, it appears to be assembly problem in the factory and judging by the level of detail in the instruction sheet is a well known problem.

Hopefully, your dealer will also have this sheet or knows where to get.