Help, power steering issues...

16V

Howdy dear fellow owners and previous owners. I have this 16v 2001 Fabia with about 100 000 miles. 10000 miles ago my power steering died, so I found a replacement from a crashed 2009 VW Polo with only 20000 miles, the authorized Skoda dealer changed it for me, but of course without an warranty because I came with the power steering in my trunk.

So it has been working fine for two years until now. Sometimes it works great, but at the same time I noticed the beam of headlights dropping irregularly accompanied with some electrical noise from the engine like something is working against some resistance and the steering becomes a bit harder, half a minute later the dropping beam thing and the electrical noise goes away, the steering is still a bit harder and the power steering light beams up.

So the power steering works to 60% of it's level, and when I turn the steering wheel fast, like doing slalom, all it's power goes away, while going normally the power keeps going on 60%. Sometimes when I start the car up, the light can be out for 15 minutes, and as long as it's not beaming and I don't get this humming and dropping beams the full power is on. But more often I get the warning light go on.

It all started after a really rainy day, that's probably a coincidence...

What u think? Just needs oil (that's my hope)? If so, that's beneath the battery, and can I use any power steering oil for this?

Cheers from Sweden.

Hi, if your interior or head lights are flashing (loosing power) when you are driving, it’s again PAS. Disconnect the power steering sensor form the pump. If the lights are now stable, the PAS is faulty and needs to be replaced. Replace with a new one from skoda dealer (about £100). Hope this help, ta

Tnx, would that explain all the symptoms? Where is the PAS, and what does the letters stand for?

Cheers

PAS = Power Assisted Steering

First thing to get checked is the steering angle sensor, this going down is the most common fault and cause of the symptoms you describe, second it could be the hydraulic pump for the power steering, not quite as common but still known to go faulty, third but most unlikely the steering rack itself.

I think the power steering fluid has a particular life time but i don't know what it is, if you have to change the pump change the fluid while you are in there.

Hope you find out it's the cheapest option! :yes: