Yeti Whistling!

My_Yeti

Just returned from a 320 miles drive today. Saw at least 6 Yeti, majority being SE, 1 S and no Elegance!

Anyway, on the way home on a local MK road, the engine started whistling, it whistles erratically whether in gear or not, as long as the accelerator is pressed.

I think best way to describe it is the tappet sound when the engine idles but higher pitch, the sound also has some kind of trembling quality, like Pavarotti but higher pitch or a cricket (tried recording it, but can only hear it in person).

Most likely to be the turbo, possibly timing chain?

Will book it in for next week or so, and will update. If it is either the turbo or timing chain, I am sue mine is not the first one!

Does the sound go away if you turn the A/C off? My Yeti makes all sorts of gurgling and a whistling noises when ticking over and the A/C is on auto, turn it off and the noise goes away.

Not too concerned as the third service is coming up, so I will get it looked at then.

Thanks for all the reply, just went for a drive tonight, no whistling (I am 100% sure that my Yeti wouldn't eat a bird, so can't be a bird chirping)... The problem is that the car doesn't have any light on on the dashboard and I know the dealers would say nothing is wrong with it! Let's hope the whistling comes back and I can take and to the dealer and show them (not the first time I had strange noise from the engine)

Mine whistled on the way home from work tonight.

Found the cause; Sheila had shut both the air vents her side of the car so with the air con on "hard" all the air was coming out of the two my side.

Cured by opening the middle vent her side!!