New Octy + Sports suspension: questions

Hi All,

2 questions for those of you who either have an Octy 2 with sports suspension, or have had the chance to test drive one...

- ride comfort: I understand from another thread that the ride is former - on motorway journeys will this be noticable?

- road noise: presumably tighter suspension plus bigger tyres causes more road noise (again on motorways)?

BTW I'm looking to buy the 2.0 TDI Estate in Elegance or (if wife and funds permit) the L&K.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

PaperBag.

There is a big difference is handling, you can really notice a difference when chucking it about. I don't think the ride is that much firmer in terms of comfort. I haven't taken it on a motorway yet.

Plus they look really nice!

I test drove an Elegance with sports suspension and found it quite noisy. Bought a standard Elegance and it is much quieter. I think the Standard wheels look good as well, plus you get a proper alloy spare.

I personally felt the overall package was comprimised by the sports setup. Standard handeling is excellent as it is.

Did you see this thread already.... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t26598-.html

I have sports suspension and road noise can be very loud, but it really depends on the road surface. So far I would say road noise is NOT a significant issue on 70% of the roads I've used (and I use all types frequently). In my opinion handling is improved (depending on your driving style I guess) and on balance I would have the sports suspension again.

One thing I would say though is... if your going for the estate, be aware that most estates are 'boomier' inside than the hatch equivalent because of the increase interior volume. So try and do your testing in the estate if that's what your going for...

;)

I have standard wheels and suspension on mine and think it handles great for an estate car, and that's coming from an vRS. Ride quality is much improved over the vRS over bumps and road rash but there is some body roll through tight corners. If you want vRS handling and like a harsh ride then the sports suspension is the way to go. Personally I find the more relaxing ride a refreshing change, and I hate space saver spare wheels.

Thanks everyone for your replies - as I expected this will come down to personal preference.

Whatever the additional noise, I doubt it will match the wind howl from my biking days (I've got the tinnitis to prove it :eek: )

Thanks again,

PaperBag

I chose a Octy as my company car, and purchased an ex-demo with the Pegasus alloys and spring kit. I think the wheels really set the car off well and you can't go wrong for the price. The only downside is the tyre noise from the Bridgestones. I'll change them for Continentals or Michelins when the time comes.