How much to you use the stop-start feature?

Rothbard

Yes, it would be nice if the traffic lights facing one had a big counter with figures showing time to next green light. That would remove the guessing game or better still the traffic light it self could remote start the engine for you!

Seen them in India...the counters that is! Doesn't stop them jumping the lights though!

• 2 years later...

We (SWMBO & I) have an Elegance Greentech, & we liked it so much, that we bought a SE for one of the kids.     But, &  like the seemingly general census of opinion here, I automatically (providing I remember) switch off the stop-start facility whenever I get in.          To my mind, the very best thing about the S/S facility, is that (whether one uses it or not) the "official" emissions are reduced to the "no road tax" point, whereas our son shells out £20 pa.   No great ball-breaker, but £20 is £20.  The difference between our respective average mpg's is marginal, & I never did feel comfortable about the additional wear & tear on the engine/starter motor/battery etc.    Stop/Start may ("may"?) be the way to go in the future, but modern engines now seem to be so quiet & technologically-advanced, that not having the S/S facility seems to be neither here nor there.    Besides, I now rarely drive in highly-congested traffic conditions, so I'm happy enough to sit with the engine ticking over - it's quiet enough, and I much prefer it to the engine "kicking in" on a constant basis.     Neither am I overly happy about constantly starting an engine when the oil has mostly drained back into the sump.

Doubtless this was all taken into account by the skilled engineers, but they still have inbuilt "customer resistance" to overcome - or they do in my case.

Edited by Michaelski

It is always difficult to get used to new things but, despite not liking it initially, I am now on my third car with S/S and I never give it a thought. It does save fuel in start-stop motoring in town and it makes stops nice and quiet! I now find it strange when I get into a car without it. It is obvious that S/S works when you are starting and stopping in town but the regenerative braking is just common sense and works on the open road too.

Hi

Michaelski wrote: 'I never did feel comfortable about the additional wear & tear on the engine/starter motor/battery etc.'

Many seem to forget that Citigo's, Mii's and up!'s, which come with start and stop technology, have sturdier and stronger starter motor and battery than car's without s/s.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis