Knocking from under o/s front - tried the usuals things...

Dougie S

I thought I'd take a punt on your collective wisdom to see if I can resolve this.

I've just noticed since yesterday that I have an intermittent knock/creak/clunk type noise, almost like something pops back then forth if that makes sense. Now I'd normally expect it to be the droplinks but it was only a fortnight ago that a significantly more mechanically experienced member from here helped me out by getting the front coilovers on and at the same time new top mounts, top mount bearings and meyle HD droplinks were fitted.

I'm pretty sure it's just started but as I nearly always drive with music on and just noticed it yesterday (fancied some quiet in the morning), it could have been going on for a wee while. Couldn't be sure where it was coming from until today when I bounced the front corners with all my weight and though bouncing both sides will cause the noise with a lot of pressure it seems to be originating from the left, it's louder and more clear from that side. The noise does seem to travel across the car though. There was a little squeak as the suspension extended but I think that's possibly just the rear brakes due to the handbrake being on.

I couldn't get the wheel nuts off (the joy of buzz guns) but I jacked it up on both sides and put it on full lock to get my hands in.

Checked the strut pinch bolts, both still solid as expected.

Checked the springs and both seem solid and under compression, wouldn't move when I pushed and pulled at them so I doubt they're broken.

Top mount bolts inside the engine bay sem solid.

Adjuster cups are in good condition.

Brake calipers are not loose or damaged

Wheels don't seem to rock or move in any way they shouldn't.

The ARB is definitely not fouling on the drive shaft, there would be marks from the contact and the dirt/dust is undisturbed.

Couldn't see any stones caught in the springs

The Console bushes were uprated to powerflex app 12 months ago and the dogbone mount was done then too so not either of those.

Tried to check the droplink nuts were tight, tops definitely are but I couldn't get into the bottom ones properly. I just managed to get a spanner over them but am I right in thinking that they need to be held with an allen key or they'll just spin when you try and tighten them? Certainly didn't feel like it was rattling about loose.

Gave the exhaust a pull n push and it didn't move or knock.

I'm kind of lost for other ideas now? Could it be the undertray fouling on anything? Is there something else that might have come loose or worn around the front/suspension area. Anywhere else that a stone could get stuck?

I'm pretty anal about any little noises and I want to get this gone ASAP and make sure the car is tip-top. That said, I don't want to waste money at a garage who will probably just throw parts at it until they find the right answer when I can probably sort it myself. I'll get national tyres to untorque the wheel bolts then put the car up on axle stands with wheels off so I can get a good look underneath. I'd just like some suggestions for what to check.

Sorry for the essay, hit me with your suggestions!

Edited by Dougie S

I would try the Anti Roll Bar bushes too, in fact they are so cheap that I'd do them anyway, all you need are the bushes and 4 new cap bolts. Can be a bit awkward to do with a jack and axle stands but seeing as you are working under a ramp that will make life a lot easier.

Best of luck!

Edited by Coffin Dodger