Fabia 1.4 100bhp EPC problem

Hello all, I hope you will be able to help me with a problem I have with my 2003 1.4 100bhp Fabia, it's probably a bit long-winded but I'll try and keep it brief.

In November 2011 as I went to pull away the throttled died (as if the 'cable' had snapped, I know its fly-by wire) and the EPC and 'triangle' light came on, but when I stopped the engine and restarted it it was fine again and did not happen again for about 6 months. This happened a couple more times so in September 2012 had a new throttle pedal fitted.

This has not happened since however what happens fairly regularly is when I slow to a stop (at a junction) the revs fall (as you'd expect) then keep falling and the engine stops/dies and the EPC and 'triangle' light come on. I can quickly switch off and restart the engine but it's getting to be a pain.

In conjunction I know a need a new exhaust as it only just passed its emissions test on the MOT last year. The Engine light is almost always on too (possibly for the Cat./Emissions but maybe for something else?). I do have a mini hand-held reader (UIF-tech I think) that gives out a 4 digit code (or codes).

Additionally I do suffer with the common wet foot-well problem, and am trying to manage this by using a wet and dry vacuum on it regularly. Could the moisture from this be causing problems?

Many thanks for your help.