Regency green Yeti on 215/65 R16

Hirundo

For those who want "bigger boots" (215/65 R16 Dunlop Ice Touch) (and those who wonder how Regency green Yeti looks like) :notme:

IMG_8285.jpg

Regency.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

As You can see - plenty of room still...

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 3

Are you planning on invading Russia?

Russians have invaded Estonia several times, I guess it's our (my) turn now :giggle:

But seriously – wanted a bit more ground clearence – harsh winters over here...

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 3

The bigger tyres do look good but over in the UK fitting something of a size that is not specified in the handbook means it is something that needs to be declared as a "modification" to the insurance people. If you don't your car is uninsured alas. Your speedometer will also be very inaccurate having done this!

our speedometer will also be very inaccurate having done this!

Yes it will, a bit:

Screen_Shot_2013-04-15_at_2.21.24_PM.png

But - correct me if I'm wrong - doesn't speedometer lie already (shows a few km/h MORE than actual speed is)? If so – isn't this set-up ("bigger "wheels) more accurate then? :notme:

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 1

But - correct me if I'm wrong - doesn't speedometer lie already (shows a few km/h MORE than actual speed is)?

Yes quite true (its at least 5kph out)....and it really winds me up. What is the point of a speedometer if it does not measure your speed !!!....especially in the age of speed cameras.

Yes quite true (its at least 5kph out)....and it really winds me up. What is the point of a speedometer if it does not measure your speed !!!....especially in the age of speed cameras.

It always errs on the side of caution so if your speedo shows 60 you can safely pass said speed camera as you are really doing 56. And so on so forth. It's a safety margin and since you know it is out (and can presumably thus work out the actual speed you're doing in your head) it IS telling you your accurate speed.

It always errs on the side of caution so if your speedo shows 60 you can safely pass said speed camera as you are really doing 56. And so on so forth. It's a safety margin and since you know it is out (and can presumably thus work out the actual speed you're doing in your head) it IS telling you your accurate speed.

Sorry...dont agree (respectfully). I want my speedometer to measure my speed. The fact that its out makes life so much worse. If I use the speedometer to gauge my speed and lets say its 5km out, over a 7 hour journey that equates to 35 Kms....which is a about 30 minutes (give or take).

Its very difficult to accommodate this loss in measurement using (lets say) the digital display ect....because you dont know what figures to trust. The accuracte gauge I have is an iphone/ipad which is not only dangerous to use whilst driving but stupid given I have a speedometer in front of me. Callibrate the speedometer correctly please Skoda (thats what I pay for), and I will goven my speed.

Edited by MCAMRA

+1. I couldn't agree more. It was always said to be that manufacturers fitted over reading speedometers to avoid people blaming them for speeding. False logic and especially so when the capacity for an accurate speedo is so readily available.

@Hirundo I love this combo (colur+rims+tyres). It realy gives a Yeti "the edge" :love: (i wouldn't pick that colur for mine though). If may I ask - how do Dunlop Ice Touch tyres perform in, as you said harsh winters?

Hva a nice day!

Best regards

@Hirundo I love this combo (colur+rims+tyres). It realy gives a Yeti "the edge" :love: (i wouldn't pick that colur for mine though). If may I ask - how do Dunlop Ice Touch tyres perform in, as you said harsh winters?

Hva a nice day!

Best regards

Glad You like it!

As for tyres - these are the first set on Yeti. But they are perfectly good. (Most of us here prefer studded tyres and so am I.)

ice-touch.jpg

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your explaination. Where I come form originaly (Slovenia that is) tires with spikes were allowed til early 1980's, but then they have banned them. Now, for the Germany, they have only descovered that the winter tires would be a good idea to put in the StVO (traffic law) few years ago. If I would have an option I would opted for those you have on your Yeti, for sure.

Have a nice evening!

• 3 months later...

Hirundo do you think 225/65 R16 will fit in there? I like sometimes to drive here in the mountains and any extra clearance would be helpful and since we don't have snow here in Taiwan I would use my stock 16" Matterhorns all year round

Sorry...dont agree (respectfully). I want my speedometer to measure my speed. The fact that its out makes life so much worse. If I use the speedometer to gauge my speed and lets say its 5km out, over a 7 hour journey that equates to 35 Kms....which is a about 30 minutes (give or take).

Its very difficult to accommodate this loss in measurement using (lets say) the digital display ect....because you dont know what figures to trust. The accuracte gauge I have is an iphone/ipad which is not only dangerous to use whilst driving but stupid given I have a speedometer in front of me. Callibrate the speedometer correctly please Skoda (thats what I pay for), and I will goven my speed.

I favour the "better a little under than a little over argument" and I think it carries more weight because there are frequent posts on this forum from people thinking about trying new variations of wheels and tyres, often with some implications for the (in)accuracy of speedometer readings. As for it adding 30 minutes to a 7 hour drive I think this would only be correct if the 5kph differential were to be constant across all speeds (which is unlikely because stationary would then be -5kph) and and the entire journey was completed with the speedometer always showing the maximum legal speed for the road. Drive in even moderate let alone heavy traffic and surrounding vehicles effectively set the speed and any speedometer reading becomes irrelevant. When stopped at junctions or in traffic queues journey time is still passing but no distance is being covered so again any variation in displayed reading from actual is irrelevant. Certainly in most of the UK I think any extra journey time as a result of a speedometer reading a little low is likely to be minimal. A former colleague and his father used to take regular family holidays in North Wales, travelling from Portsmouth and taking two cars. My colleague was very laid back with a similar driving style, his father "enjoyed driving" with a style to match. Starting off together and following the same route my colleague would regularly arrive within 15-20 minutes of his father - they actually used to check. (The only reason this arose as a subject of conversation is we were both traffic engineers and therefore nerdy about such things). 

But I am grateful for this thread. I negotiated for 16" wheels on my Elegance and had noticed that the speedometer was reading slightly less than the TomTom, probably by about 5% (3mph at 60 mph). I assumed this was a consequence of my wheel choice but it seems not, so one less thing for me to worry about.

I love that colour. I'm thinking about it myself but when it isn't clean it suffers IMO.

Quick observation re: speedometer readings. Surely this changes slightly over the course of the life of the tyres due to the rolling circumference reducing over the life of the tyres? Someone with a big brain could no doubt work this out. If you assume that tread could reduce by 5mm (so 10mm on the diameter) I quickly calculate that the difference in rolling circumference is approx 33mm or 1.6%.

Happy to be corrected-I am fairly thick.