Kenwood DNX520VBT - poor radio reception

As per the title really - the original Stream unit in my 56 plate Octavia VRS was acting up and couldn't even play MP3 CDs on it so looked to replace it. The dealer confirmed that the Kenwood DNX520VBT would be 100% compatible with my car but even though the sat-nav, bluetooth, USB, CD player all work brilliantly, the radio reception is rubbish. Can't even find Radio1 or Radio2 (what should be the strongest station signals) nevermind any local ones.

So before I go back to the dealer, does anyone have an idea / experience of what could be the problem? To be honest, the Stream radio reception was brilliant but useless for anything else but I don't want the garage persevering for weeks on a solution if there isn't one! If that's going to be the case I'd rather just put the original back in. Prolonged trips to the dealership is not what I'm looking for!

Cheers for any suggestions in advance.

Cheers Robbles, will try the reset first - I've also been told to switch off the AF network, Region follow and any other sub-menu defaults too so I'll give all these suggestions a go and keep fingers crossed. I'm quite pleased with the unit itself - there are more functions on it than I'll probably use - but you'd think it wouldn't be this easily upset by Chris Evans or Zane Lowe! :think:

• 2 weeks later...

Tried resetting the unit but it still has terrible reception - it won't even hold onto Radio1 or 2 in a strong signal area, static and crackling noises with fading in/out then drive past some trees and it completely gives up the ghost! Think it will need to be another trip to the garage. Suspect the aerial is the most likely culprit, either not connected (or properly amplified) or it's perhaps broken.

I'm probably way off the mark as I don't know much about the Mk2, but on the Mk1 octy the aerial has an amplifier built into the base which is powered by the standard head unit, so when fitting an aftermarket head unit a power injector is needed, not sure if it's the same deal with your car.

Cheers for another good suggestion - added to a list of hints for the dealer! There doesn't seem to be much online about problems with that particular unit itself but have now spotted forum posts suggest about the aerial / amplifier (or lack of?!) so hopefully it's something simple. As much as the dealer is always very helpful & courteous there's a point when you just want the damn thing to work (and they don't want to see you back!) :think: Will soon find out this Thursday.

Just a quick update which might be useful. The trip to dealer seems to have resolved it (well so far, so good ... ever the optimist! :think: ). The aerial itself was broken so a new part & connectors was fitted and it now has a strong signal across the range - if anyone else has a similar issue then worth starting with some obvious stuff :

1. Is the aerial itself working?

2. Check the antenna base isn't corroded.

3. Has the new unit being fitted got a separate power feed to antenna amplifier? (SKODA units apparently have a built-in amplifier so no need for an extra cable)

4. If possible, fit another unit and compare.

5. Does the CAN gateway need updated? (the tech mentioned mine didn't - although just nodded as I hadn't a clue what he was on about, heh).

All of which the garage said they'd tested (thumbs up for their very thorough checklist) and luckily it turned out to be a simple fix - glad the £££s unit itself wasn't broken. So hopefully that's it, another satisifed Skoda customer - other than finding that 'Grimmy' is still on in the mornings - must switch stations!

• 3 weeks later...

...back to the garage, Stream OEM unit being put back in as the Kenwood can't hold onto any radio station and the satnav voice sounds like it's gargling / spewing at the same time. Pretty disappointing considering how much the thing was supposed to be worth. Eventually found out that this unit can be iffy in one car but not another. They don't advertise that in the brochure! :giggle:

So can anyone recommend an alternative unit with as strong radio reception as the OEM unit but with a USB port at the front?