Power Steering and ABS probles

For a few weeks I have been getting the ABS light coming up on the dashboard of my 2007 tdi roomster, together with the warning tone, both tend to go off again after a minute or two. Today I noticed the brake warning light came on as well as the ABS light. 

Yesterday my power steering failed on two occasions, both times just after I had started up and was negotiating a turn. The power steering warning light came on. The same thing happened this morning. I normally can sort things by switching off the engine and restarting, whereupon the power steering is working again. I presume the two problems are linked, but maybe not. Your thoughts please.

One other thing to say I was in hospital for several weeks a month ago and when I got out found that the battery was flat. We started it using jumpleads and it has been starting okay since. Could this be related?

I am currently in the Czech Republic and plan to drive back to the UK in about a week's time and do not want anything going wrong on a German autobahn. I will have to take it to a Skoda garage here (at least I'm in the right country) and want to have some idea about what might be wrong. 

Edited by Potok

battery dying ?

familiar tail on the the mk1 fabia's, as battery starts to die, normally get a few funnies around power steering

get the battery checked, if still the original probably coming to end of its life

not sure if the roomster has the same two wires across the front of the gearbox that break and cause charging issues

Thanks for the offer, KongCzech. I took it into our local Skoda garage/dealership and they ran a diagnostic this am. And it showed nothing wrong! They looked it over - the battery was 100% charged, the underside of the car was fine. They took it out for a drive and tried to get it to repeat the problem - nothing. They even tried pushing the car when it had the handbrake on and it wouldn't move.

So now I have to drive it until there is a problem and rush there and hope it shows up. My drive home is planned for the beginning of next week, and I really don't relish driving with this hanging over me.

• 8 months later...