Water in front passenger footwell (from driver door)

Hi all

Trying to sort out water in front footwell. Changed Ecu seal and bonnet release cable all good.

Today bright day, everything dry so I got the horse pipe out, put water down the windscreen and top of car, everything fine.

However, I put the horse pipe on the driver side door and water starts to leak in. I can c it start dripping in the car.

The question is which seal will need replacing, just don't have a clue, please help!

Mine did this.  If you remove the doorcard there is a metal panel behind it which holds the window motor etc.  That has a seal to the painted door skin and it fails, particularly if you've had a lock or window fixed.

You can fix this fault by sealing over the top of the panel joint without removing the panel (also called a carrier) from the door.  But you will need to take the door card off really to get clear access (otherwise it gets a bit messy)

The following youtube should give you an idea which seal it is:

On mine I could see evidence that someone had been in there to fix a lock - a couple of sloppy screwdriver pry marks if you looked hard.

There is a VW / Skoda kit of sealant you can use and get from dealership, or you can use some 3rd party sealant.  I used Shell Tixophalte.  http://www.shell.com/global/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/bitumen/products/shell-tixophalte.html

It's equally important to check that the drain holes at the bottom of the door where the door skin is crimped over are completely free. If these are blocked with debris, sealer or wax, the water will have nowhere to go and will rot the door and probably still eventually get into the car.

I nominate the VAG "drainhole" engineer for a lemon award.... (I have a few others as well).

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

The total job has cost me 67 pounds.

30 pounds to replace the Ecu seal (but that was okay).

7 pounds for plumbers gold sealant and 30 pounds labour again.

Hopefully, it should be water tight for years now!