Sill rust - A common problem?

Rust  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Fabia have any rust on the sills?

• Yes - quite a bit
    • Just a bit of paint starting to flake off/surface rust
    • No rust what so ever

On 08/01/2019 at 07:59, pizzarat said:

I spotted that my sills have some very light rust spots when cleaning recently. What methods have people used to fix it... has it worked over time?

When I bought it in 2009, mine had a little rust on either end of the sill, due to stone impacts (no mudflaps when I got it).  I cleaned the ends up with a wire brush to get the worst off, then applied Clarke Rust Remover (phosphoric acid), sprayed it with high-zinc primer through a mask, followed by paint (metallic stone grey) and a good dose of lacquer.  Since then, it's been absolutely fine (except for one stone impact on the rear end of one of the sills that went straight through to the metal - doh).  If I were doing it now, I'd use Bilt Hamber's Deox Gel, followed by their Electrox spray primer (90% zinc content), and then paint and clearcoat as normal.