Symphony loose buttons fix

I have seen many posts on this site explaining how the buttons on the front of the Symphony head unit fall off.

My Symphony's numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 had all broken the little keeper tags on the back and would fall off just by looking at them.

Examining the buttons and head unit, it was clear that the buttons are 'hinged' at the top and push onto two rubbery pads at the bottom.

Button illumination is effected by individual leds shining directly onto the middle of the rear side of the button.

The fix.

I applied a small amount of silicone sealant [used B&Q clear sanitary stuff - cost ~ £2.25] to the top ~1/3 of the inside of the button making sure the silicone did not go outside the edges or over the number.

I did this to all 4 'loose' buttons two days ago - after 24 hours of curing, all my buttons stay on the head unit and actuation of the 4 'siliconed' buttons seem to be the same as that of the originally 'captive' buttons 5 and 6.

I'll keep you posted as to the longevity of this fix.

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

It's been 10 days since the operation on the Symphony - we've had very hot days, very humid days, very wet days and a few cold nights to test out the fix and I have the following to report :

The ersatz vinegar smell given off by the curing disappeared quite quickly after application of the silicone, only lasting ~1 day.

The head unit is working completely normally, all the preset buttons [siliconed and 'original'] are operational and are still attached !

I think I can safely say the fix works.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adam_

Thanks for the post and the 'like' - I'm glad my fix has worked for you too.  One month in and my buttons are still attached - looks like it might be permanent, if it proves not, then another tube of silicone is on a few £ !

Cheers

Graeme