Mirrors on an FL VRS

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the mirror caps and wondered if anyone had any technical procedures or advice on how to do this. The Engineer from my local Skoda garage said you can just pull them off by giving them a yank upwards. Really not keen to try this one.

From what I can tell the mirror motor assembly and the indicator lights are mounted on to this so it isn't just a cap. On the replacement ones I have and can see several clips and holes for screws. 

Any help or links to technical docs would be great. Pics would be helpful to.

Thanks vwdan.

Seems quite a lot of force is needed which is quite worrying. Do you need to remove the mirror glass first? If so, is there a recommended way of doing so?

Thanks again

more than just yanking involved i'm afraid, but not difficult.

1. remove the glass (rotate glass to point at the floor, put your fingers in at the top and pull towards yourself, should pop off with a bit if a tug, try to spread the load with your fingers - if it breaks you've pulled too hard ;)

2. two torx screws need to be removed, don't have a pic i'm afraid but you can easily see them with the glass off.

3. the cap clips in to the base in two (iirc!) places, easy to see, just persuade these out with a flatblade screwdriver or trim removal tool.

4. now pull the mirror cap upwards. :) should come off easily with a tug, leaving the base in place incl the side repeater.

HTH.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again rob_e. Nowhere near as easy as the Skoda mechanic had suggested.

Finally got round to doing this.

Paintjob is a bit iffy in places but you'd have to look to find it.

Images uploaded to the gallery.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/album/1064-black-mirror-caps/

Edited by Nemtex
  • Like 1