2010 Fabia - busted boot actuator

closed the boot with a bag for life in the way of the latch.

'door open' light was illuminated on the dash (found it was the boot after opening and closing all other doors first).

removed bag from out the way and closed the boot no problems.

went to open the boot a little while later to find the button activates the mechanism, but it doesn't open the boot (just an electric whirring from waht i can only guess would be the motor assist drive inside the actuator).

i've taken it off just now and it rattles like a childs play toy.  im guessing this is bad.

it doesnt seem like a servicable part (no obvious way of getting in to it without breaking it apart).

so need to find a replacement.

ebay has thrown nothing up but parts for older models.

Part number: (data found on the part):

BN3 CZ

5J0827501B

I 4 12 /10

about to visit the garage opposite to see if they can help...

any other pointers appreciated!

The 5J0827501B is the part number and 12/10 is the week and year of manufacture.

looking at an on-line parts book it suggests this part was superseded in September 2011 by 5J0827501C

found one on e-bay from a Skoda dealer new;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-TAILGATE-BOOT-LOCK-5J0827501C-/321192083855?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac88a418f

Hope of help,

TP

ah, yes, thats the part! have already ordered and got it from the garage over the road - £10 more expensive, but at least its not massively overpriced (garage gave me staff discount too  :whew: )

thanks for the help though - needed it before i go off on a work trip next week - otherwise the mrs would have been stuck opening the boot with a screwdriver from the inside - not ideal with 2 kids in tow! :P

going to try and pull the other one apart to see if it is salvagable - it seemed a bit easy for this to happen, so a spare may come in handy 

• Like 1

Wish I saw this earlier....

I had to replace mine and it only cost me about 23 quid from my main dealer!

Quite simple to change, despite one of the three retaining bolts not coming undone, resulting in me getting a stud and bolt removal tool and forcing it out this way! The threads were coated in thread lock. I also ordered new bolts as they are only about 60p each but they came without thread lock, making me question the need for it. Could have just cleaned up the two good-uns and replaced the extracted one!

Just so you know, you will need to remove the carpet-like liner of the hatch, to get to the third bolt and to unplug and remove the lock mechanism. 

The guy in the dealer says they just pack up sometimes... Mine sounded like a machine gun, popping several times when activated and not always shutting properly. Works properly now, though!