Engine Control System for Exhaust Warning Light

Penfoldmole

Hi

I've just taken my car back to the dealer today for the second time in a few weeks for the same apparent fault. A few weeks agon the Engine Control Systemm for Exhaust light came on it would be on for a few hundred miles then go off for few hundred and then back on, no drop off in performance or limp mode. Took car to a local dealer in Glasgow and they diagnosed the EGR valve neede replacing so after two days picked it up, all seemed fine but after about 150 miles the light came on again so its gone back today and I'm awaiting the call from the dealer to tell me whats wrong this time. I have a Yeti Elegance 4x4 with the 2.0 TDI 170 engine.

Anyone else had similar faults and what was the diagnosis, I've read on another forum that it can take a while to get to the root cause of this one and several visits to the dealer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a similar sounding issue with my last car (Octavia VRS CR170).  In my case it was the EGR sensor that was faulty, and was falsely reporting a problem with the EGR valve.  The sensor was replaced under warranty and I had no further problems.

• Like 1

I had a problem with EGR sensor on TIBET I (CR170). I kept getting the 'go get it hot' warning light on so went for a burn up the M40 two nights running. Next morning (a Sunday) it came on a again so called Skoda Assist. Excellent bloke came out within an hour said that'll be the sensor then - just got to get it to fail for a warranty claim.

Eventually it did and he replaced it on the spot. Brilliant service.

Apparently (according to him) the 'Made in USA' ones are rubbish and fail often right across the VAG range. The good ones say 'Made in Malaysia' (I did check TIBET II when it arrived!). Sensor is size of a match box top left of the engine bay when viewed from the front - near the coolant header tank.