New Octavia 3 VRS (Bolero?) Upgrade

mspooner

Evening all

in order not to impede delivery time too much, I essentially had to settle with what I could get as my company car as my work left it so late to order my new VRS.

Therefore the car will have the standard Bolero (correct me if I'm wrong) fitted and I am disappointed with the overall 'weight' of the sound when I have listened to a few different demonstrators.

Does anyone know what output options are available at the rear of the new Bolero unit and what connectors they use? Or even have pictures of the rear of the unit in question?

I.e. is line line output available directly and are the speakers connected with a normal ISO connector (I doubt it but one can hope!!). If so one of the under the seat units may do me for now (some of which have easy installation looms)

Essentially I want to fit at least a subwoofer for now (not decided whether to use the kit I already have or look at a under the seat option instead).

I did last have an amplified enclosure fitted in the boot of the Audi A4 S-Line I've just returned. The installation in that was dead-easy as the factory amplifier was in the boot and I managed to trace out and tap into the line-level & remote lines. Also with the battery being in the boot the remainder of the installation was also a breeze. 

With it being a company car, as long as I can put it 'back to stock' relatively easily and without leaving obvious signs of tamper they don't mind me fitting whatever I like to the new car.

Any advice/information is greatly received.

If you're ordering or have ordered a new Octavia, then you maybe should have specced it with the Canton audio upgrade.  It's a 10 speaker setup with a subwoofer built into the boot.  It's awesome.

If you're ordering or have ordered a new Octavia, then you maybe should have specced it with the Canton audio upgrade.  It's a 10 speaker setup with a subwoofer built into the boot.  It's awesome.

I wanted the Canton, unfortunately due to work leaving the ordering too late, I had to stick with what was coming in as stock within the (then) next couple of months,

Its here, and while it sounds 'alright' and is not too treble heavy (unlike my original mk2 PD VRS I had before the Audi) it certainly isn't what I'd call ideal.

Sound quality is ok, just lacks that oomph at the mid/lower end.

As mentioned I traced out the relevant connections on my previous car (Audi A4 s-line) thats just gone back so I expect to have to do the same here.

It also seems to have a recurring issue with the bluetooth where when answering a phone call it seems to answer the call but then does;t seem to route the audio through to mic and speakers. I have temporarily disable AD2P bluetooth streaming (as I don't use it anyway) and touch wood, seems ok. Maybe a few more days will tell.

Does anyone have any pinout information on the new generation of head units fitted in these cars and if the bolero does offer a pre-out at all of some description (I assume the canton upgrade would have to get its signal from somewhere unless it uses high level inputs?)

All in all though, glad I came back to Skoda, this has put the smile back on my face after pootling round in the s-line for 3 years which I found ultimately boring and sterile.

• 5 months later...

Apologies for the bump but has anyone had the bolero out on one of these new models yet and seen what connectors are available on the rear? With the weather getting slowly better I'm going to pick this project up again, but would like any information anyone has before I start the project so I can be prepared.

Got almost 10k on the car now, though the audio is still niggling me. The only other issue I will let the dealers sort when I get time (get start stop system malfunction warning, but as I always disable this every time I get in the car out of habit, it doesn't bother me too much).

Thanks