185/65/15 on a roomster?

Leoh

Okay, here's the thing: I bought some steel wheels and winter tyres recently from a well known auction site, with a view to fitting on our roomy when the weather goes pear shaped in a month or so. They had previously been fitted (allegedly) to an 09 fabia, so I figured they should be fine. When I test fitted them today I noticed they appeared larger than the standard 195/55/15 set, so I checked the size and discovered that they are in fact 185/65/15. Making them around 4-5% larger in overall diameter. They drive okay and the speedo now gives the correct reading compared against gps. Any extra ground clearance is welcome given the labyrinth of potholes that we have to navigate daily, not mention having to pull off the road for 4x4s (grrrrr).

But.

Are they safe?

Are they legal?

Has anyone else got experience of this size on a roomy (or fabia)?

Thanks in advance

I used 185/60/15 last winter.  I didn't notice any difference in handling. Only when I brought it in to an authorized dealer for a mirror replacement did they note on the check sheet an advisory that the tyres were not the standard size.

Though as 195/55 are significantly more expensive than 185/60 I'm tempted to go that route again this winter. Ie: Michelin A4 Alpins - £56 vs £80 per tyre at camskill.

haven't found any clear rules on it, but http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator has a note that they do not recommend an OD variance greater than +/- 2.5%, which would exclude the 185/65. Whether that is legally the case or not I wouldn't know. More to the point, will it invalidate your insurance?

I've also found myself driving on 195/65/15 for a month or so due to the garage sourcing the wrong tyres and taking ages to get the correct ones in stock. Those were 6.5% too large, but aside from what felt like a minor torque reduction, I wish they were allowed - great ride comfort, road grip and I didn't have to pump the fronts up to as high a PSI - they took the weight of the 1.9 engine very well.

Thanks for this graffiti, very helpful. I'll try to talk to our insurers today, but if they are okay with it then I think perhaps I'll stick with them!

Unless off course someone comes up with a good reason not to!

I usually fit 185/60 15" winter tyres and I am satisfied. Slightly more comfortable than stock 195/55, I do not feel substantial differences in handling, apart from some 'gummy' feeling. Cheaper. Advisable, unless not allowed by regulations (in Italy, they can only be fit as winter tyres for the Roomster).