New Head Unit Guide Please (Octavia 2003)

I cannot find a basic step by step guide to fitting a new head unit in the Forums.If one exists please publicise it but in the meantime....

What do I need to look for in HU specificatione regarding connectors for speakers and power source e.g. ISO?

How do I get the Symphony out?

What else do I need?(I see odd references to size problems and additional panels to cover gaps.)

Suggestions of units that have worked ranging from "cheap" via "nice" to "How much!!!" would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.

The octy uses normal ISO connectors but with the switched and permanent 12v wires the opposite way round , so you will need to swap them over on your head unit's wiring loom. Some makes (Sony do) have little bullet connectors to simplify this , others don't.

Removing the stereo needs something to shove into the little slots at the side to release the catches. I use the nail-file on a tiny swiss army knife , others use hacksaw blades (with the teeth filed off) and some get the proper tool (your dealer will be able to pop it out for you).

It makes it much easier to remove the standard stereo if you take the glovebox out so you can push from the back. It also makes it easier to put the new one in as you can make sure that the cables don't get caught as you push it back.

You don't need any spacers for the octy as the stereo is a standard size. It's only the furby that you do.

I cannot find a basic step by step guide to fitting a new head unit in the Forums.If one exists please publicise it but in the meantime....

What do I need to look for in HU specificatione regarding connectors for speakers and power source e.g. ISO?

How do I get the Symphony out?

What else do I need?(I see odd references to size problems and additional panels to cover gaps.)

Suggestions of units that have worked ranging from "cheap" via "nice" to "How much!!!" would be appreciated.

Not sure if one exists somewhere but...

Practically any new headunit on the market will have an ISO connector on the back' date=' i'd be very surprised if you found one that didn't! You may need an aerial adaptor (particulary if you choose a Sony headunit) but we (www.KissmyICE.co.uk ) can supply those.

The symphony comes out relatively easily, Kenwood radio keys do the job (can be found in Halfords) alternatively you may find a fellow Briskoda member who has a set nearby, where are you based?

If it's an Octy then you don't need any additional panels to cover gaps.

Price, well depends what your after?

Do you have any requirements?

Does it need MP3 playback? CD-R or CD-RW playback? Though again most new units now do this too.

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I am looking to change the head unit is the awful harsh tiring sound from the Symphony set up.All music sources sound shrill and I have tried adjusting all the settings I can find.

Before I change the head unit I would like to be sure that this is the problem and not the CD Changer or speakers.

As to the new unit I am not interested in any more power than the Symphony has or MP3 but would like something neutral/black to go with the black facia.

Budget

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

I've just binned the standard HU from my PD130 Elegance,

I pulled the tray out from underneath the old HU to ease removal and fitting of the new-un.

I fittted a JVC KD-AVX1 and had a hard time with the extra wires so I got busy with my leatherman on a few errant pieces of plastic behind the HU.

You will need the female aerial adaptor if the new HU has a female socket compared to the male socket on the old Skoda Grundig unit.

As mentioned above, the permanent live will need to be changed, most new HU's have bullet connectors to allow you to swap the red and yellow wires to retain memory settings.

You might also need an aerial amplifier as well, my FM reception was rubbish until I fitted one, I got it off ebay for about