Felicia 1.3LXi, 17 years old now. Not had a huge amount of trouble, major thing was a few years back when the speed sensor needed replacing. Today's issue seems similar but not exactly the same so I'm thinking it's not this again.

The engine cut out this morning and much cranking wouldn't get it going. I left it a few minutes and it's almost starting. It idles very badly (and very slowly) for maybe 20 seconds but then stops instead of kicking into life. I tried giving it a bit of gas but this didn't help. Then it just wouldn't start. It was doing something similar last night in terms of starting, but then it kicked in and was fine. But today - nope. Had to leave it by the road and come to work on the bus.

Any ideas what this could be?

if it's from fuel

check fuel pump AND fuel filter

something needs cleaning.

throttle body I guess.

check for vacuum leaks too (hoses, gaskets, o-rings).

if it's from spark

check battery voltage, earth connection, spark plugs.

you need good spark.

Given all the wet weather we've had, it could be something as simple as damp electrics, e.g. moisture around the spark plugs and/or distributor cap. Try taking each plug lead off and spraying WD-40 up into the caps. Also take off the distributor cap and give the inside of that a squirt too.

It's worth a try before you start investigating some of the electronic gadgets.

Ok I'll give that a go in the morning, I was thinking something similar as the footmat is damp and doesn't seem to want to dry out.

Bit more info though

I came home tonight to find it still parked on the road (no parking ticket!). It started first time absolutely fine and ran well. I drove it 1/2 mile to the off-licence. But it wouldn't start again, same issue. I waited 10 minutes while it cooled, then it did start after a few seconds of cranking and a touch of gas. I drove in circles for a while, it seemed that the air blower was cooler and the temperature gauge was higher than I expected. So I'm thinking maybe the thermostat might have gone? But would this cause the starting problems? I ran it for a while until properly warmed up, the blower was warm but not hot. When I switched off it then started again no problem.

Update to this. In the daylight this morning I can see that it's as simple as low coolant (I think there was a leak in the radiator a few years back fixed with radweld). Not sure why this would cause the starting problem(?) but I've topped up the water and it seems fine now.

your problem is called 'hard starting when engine hot'.

I doubt very much filling water is a solution.

or I should say it is as good as radweld instead new radiator.

any botched 'fix' will always cost you more.

• Like 1